Pouring your own Plastic Baits Questions

Rattle

Pouring your own Plastic Baits Questions

Post by Rattle »

For those of you that pour your own plastic baits i have some questions (advice) Etc. Is it worth it? What molds do you find work well? Who do you get you supplies from? Is it fairly easy to match color to your favorites? Basically Im thinking of getting into it and have done some research on line but its always better to get opinions from guys (or gals) that have or are doing it. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Old1nCal

Re: Pouring your own Plastic Baits Questions

Post by Old1nCal »

Interesting question. Is it worth it? That depends on if you are trying to save money or trying to see if you can make something a fish will eat. If it is to save some money, you will probably spend more getting setup than you would if you just purchased the baits. If it for the joy of catching on something you made...that is where you get hooked, and if this is the case...you're going to need a bigger boat :lol: . I still carry so many plastics that I struggle to find enough room in the boat. I to this day fish stuff that I have poured...some of it 15-20 years ago...they still catch fish, and I still get a kick out of catching fish on stuff i made.

I poured my own for years, started in 1981. The thing i liked about it was I could make colors and baits that were not out on the market. I used to take crawdad bodies, and the "weld" different tails on them...probably pioneered some of the first "beaver" type baits. Then I would take that single prototype and make a single mold from it and then make multi cavity molds.
Supplies are readily available from several vendors and you can get into it pretty deep (it can get a little crazy). All my molds were open side non-injection type. I poured tens of thousands of worms over the years and always enjoyed the process. The issues that I ran into were the stuff is pretty toxic and probably not too good for you to breathe. If I had to do it over again, I would wear a respirator. I quit pouring in the mid 90's for various reasons. If you want more info, you can PM me.