Punching Setup Help

Skeeterman

Punching Setup Help

Post by Skeeterman »

Well guys I thought it was time to get a punching Setup going so today I thought I would take advantage of Daiwa days at Fishermans Warehouse no taxes.and free Daiwa J Braid. I ended up with the Tatula CT 100HS with 50pnd on the reel they only had 30 50 and 80pnd braid. Now on setup I'm thinking of going with Revenge or Strike King skirts Eco Pro weight 6sense stoppers and Gama flipping hooks but plastics that is wide open but does anyone use the ones that are already setup for punching like the SK Slithers or the D&M punch jig ? Let me know if I'm going in the right direction guys. If you guys wouldl like to share your setup I would like to hear it. Thanks guys.
BassBandit916

Re: Punching Setup Help

Post by BassBandit916 »

Your set sounds great for punching...I use to punch with 65lbs braid and as I kept doing it I have found a need to upgrade to 80lbs braid, the more you punch the more you tend to flip into thicker heavier cover.

Also I only use a 3/0 straight shank hook, 3/0 because I have found that when I use 4/0 or 5/0 hooks I tend to get alot of hook penetrain through their eye.

I use missile d bombs baits but what ever you use should be fine.

Tight lines.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I tend to punch more without a skirt this time of year. When I do I use a Reins punch shot weight with a skirt.

As far as baits go.... D&M punch craw, Gambler BB cricket, speed craw or why not. Reaction Innovations kinky beavers work well in grass. The ribs collect a lot of slime when punching through cheese though.

The D bomb works well but can be a pain to keep a hook in because it's so thin.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I use the Medlock double weed guard jig for a lot of my punching now. certain situations it does better than sinkers and a hook. Mostly throw 1oz. in black and blue.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I punch a lot with a double wide Beaver in Purple using a 4/0 Extra Wide Gap worm hook, this hook puts the point right at the eyes of the Double wide. The D&M punch bait and flip bait is legit especially that 5.0 Madd Dog Series, with a skirt. Non skirted the DM Punch Bait - and of course the yamamoto flappin hog.

Enjoy punching, it can be a blast!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/