Punker / ABT Dirty Donkey...

Freefall

Punker / ABT Dirty Donkey...

Post by Freefall »

I am looking at adding a few bigger topwater/wake style baits but before I went and spent hundreds of dollars on baits I was hoping to get some feedback.

I've never thrown either bait but I'm interested in a punker or ABT Dirty Donkey or Dirty Donkey 2 to start with.

For those of you who have thrown them what are the differences and which would you prefer or recommend?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
NorCalBassnPJ

Re: Punker / ABT Dirty Donkey...

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

I'm no expert on throwing them by any means, but i've used both the 6.5" wood punker, and the 6.5" Dirty Donkey. Let me just say this, both lures deserve a spot in your tackle box. Some would say that the Punker is more of a 'stealthy' bait for perhaps more 'calmer' conditions on the lake. But i believe it works just as good in the calm as in the chop. The Donkey I still have in my tackle box. I actually have 2 of them luckily. I throw this for Spots in NorCal where i live and they crush it when the topwater bite is on. It blurps a little bit more since its got more of a cupped chin to displace more water out the front of the bait as it glides to each side during the walk. It works well. I haven't caught anything huge on it but 2-3 lbers annihilate it. Make sure you try to match the hatch as best you can for whatever waterways you are fishing most often. Tie on some high quality monofilament in the 17-25lb test range for line with a magnum topwater stick of your choice and a heavy duty baitcast reel with a 6 or 7:1 gear ratio and give it a shot. Fish it where you'd normally fish a spook or similar walking baits. Hope that helps! P.S. I lost the Punker when i snapped it off on a power line a few years back. Havent been able to get one since... :( :roll: Otherwise I would also throw it.