Ranger trailer axle issue

bustout

Ranger trailer axle issue

Post by bustout »

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2006 Ranger boat where the trailer tires had extreme wear on the inside tread. I went to replace tires as tread was starting to show on the inside....all other tread was 70-90% still there. When the new tires were installed (same size), they rubbed on the inside fender wall. The tire shop thought my alignment was off based on the wear and that the camber was off....looked like the back of a VM bug where wheels flare out.
I called around looking for a shop to adjust. It has a tie down eng. torsion axle. I was told by Ranger the axle is worn/bent and cannot be adjusted or aligned so the recommendation is to replace the axle with new torsion arms. I asked how do they verify if the alignment is correct once the new axle is installed? I was told it is not necessary since there is no adjustment. They just bolt on the new axle, move over the brake parts and then call it good. I was also told that these axles in my year range fail often

Anyone go thru this process? Even if i get a new axle, how long will it take for the new one to go out of alignment? I feel that the new one wont last unless they made changes to the replacement axle. How about changing to a traditional leaf spring setup? I have an 1989 22ft boat with the original trailer and it never had axle issues. Anyone know of a shop that will covert to leaf spring? How about UFP? I hear they are new version of the torsion axles

thanks
Bustout
monte300

Re: Ranger trailer axle issue

Post by monte300 »

I have a 2000 Triton Tr-19 with a single leaf spring style trailer. Last year I had to replace the trailer axle and instead of taking it from Holt to Livermore, I chose a more geographically desirable place in Stockton called All Marine This turned out to be a very big mistake. They charged me $2400 for a new axle, brake assemblies and a pair of new tires. After a long wait I got it back and I discovered that the tires were rubbing. I took it to Boatmasters in Livermore and they informed me the new axle was too short and a shim kit was needed. They charged me $1100 to make things right and when I asked All Marine for a few hundred back, they denied me. Lesson learned.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Where are you located
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
bustout

Post by bustout »

I am in stockton....
thanks
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Check with your boat insurance. Some pay $500 or more on trailer repairs
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I would call and speak with them again but if you called service and they suggested replacement then that would be the ticket. I have a 2006 dual axle Ranger trailer and the trailer has been bullet proof except for the typical side board rivots having to be replaced. I have not heard of any other 2006 having problems as well. Try the BBC boards for more info. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

https://www.dexteraxle.com/products/torflex-axles

I built my on trailers for years. Hauled Classrooms to schools. I used 4 7,000 lb dexter axles on each trailer.
Go to a trailer dealer NOT a boat dealer. Look at an axle a little heavier duty than the one you had and you should be fine for many years. The torsion axles ride softer with less rattle and have no bolts to wear out or springs to break . I now own a 2009 Ranger trail trailer with the torsion axle. Love it
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
medfish

Post by medfish »

Same issue on 2004 call ranger give serial number of trailer. They will need you measure rail to rail and wheel to wheel. They can send you a new one Easy install and replace If you live in Stockton call me I will help. 5305701070 mike
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

Call C&C Marine they can order and install it for you. Ranger will replace the old axle with an upgraded heavy duty version, mine was replaced years ago and have not had problems with it since.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I had a really bad experience with the Trail-Rite torsion box axle that came on my '08 Ranger, and with it's replacement.
I was told by a dealer that Ranger went away from their old axle manuf. for a few years in the mid-2000's, but has gone back to the old manuf. after too many problems with the Trail-Rite axles.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Erog50

Post by Erog50 »

I just read your post.I have a 2007 ranger trailer.I have had nothing but problems with the trailer since ive owned it.In fact my 05 had trailer problems as well.So i spoke to ranger and they actually replaced the complete axle assembly to the tortion bar style.My 05 had the old style axle with the wet bearings.That one did not eat tires,It just went threw wheel bearing often.In a year i replaced approx 7 wheel bearings.My current trailer 07 still to this day eats tires.in one season from approx march to november,i replace the tires probably twice in a season.What i do when the tires get worn on the inside edge is pull them off and swap the worn portion of the tire to the outside facing the wheel.Ranger even put me in contact with the company that makes the axle,they instructed me to check the alignment.it was not out.In my personial opinion,I think the axle is to light for the load it is caring.I only have a 188vs so its a single axle.I feel your pain big time.The only thing i feel will help is to get rid of the axle completly and replace it with a new one.different brand.I hope this helps you.I agree with the guy that posted above.get a different axle completly.I love my ranger boat,But its usless to me if on the side of the road or broken in my garage.I feel your pain buddy.I bought both my boats brand new as well.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Erog50 wrote:I just read your post.I have a 2007 ranger trailer.I have had nothing but problems with the trailer since ive owned it.In fact my 05 had trailer problems as well.So i spoke to ranger and they actually replaced the complete axle assembly to the tortion bar style.My 05 had the old style axle with the wet bearings.That one did not eat tires,It just went threw wheel bearing often.In a year i replaced approx 7 wheel bearings.My current trailer 07 still to this day eats tires.in one season from approx march to november,i replace the tires probably twice in a season.What i do when the tires get worn on the inside edge is pull them off and swap the worn portion of the tire to the outside facing the wheel.Ranger even put me in contact with the company that makes the axle,they instructed me to check the alignment.it was not out.In my personial opinion,I think the axle is to light for the load it is caring.I only have a 188vs so its a single axle.I feel your pain big time.The only thing i feel will help is to get rid of the axle completly and replace it with a new one.different brand.I hope this helps you.I agree with the guy that posted above.get a different axle completly.I love my ranger boat,But its usless to me if on the side of the road or broken in my garage.I feel your pain buddy.I bought both my boats brand new as well.
After having a wheel fall off because the oil bath bearings has sucked in water, and seized up, and then having the replacement axle tear loose completely, so both wheels got sucked up into the fenders, my insurance co., Foremost, totaled the trailer, and I wound up getting one made by Pacific Trailer in Chino. It has the vault bearing system, so there's not maintenance for years.
I would never accept another trailer with a Trail-Rite axle.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY