Replacing kill switch

Javelin Jim

Replacing kill switch

Post by Javelin Jim »

Anybody ever replaced or installed a kill switch? Just checking to see if it is something I can do myself. Thanks.
fishbonz412

Re: Replacing kill switch

Post by fishbonz412 »

I have. Triton with Pre-ETEC Evinrude. I found a video on Youtube about how to do it (see below). bought the Evinrude ignition part from Amazon, and did it myself. I had to remove the panel that held the ignition switch (to which the kill switch assembly is connected), loosen the bolt holding the part to the panel, pay close attention to where which wires to to which posts, then reassemble in reverse order. Took about 15 minutes. The evinrude had 3 wires into back of the ignition plug, so key was to remember which wire goes where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CX_vYkQHy0

Now, if you have an Optimax or other brand, good luck....
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Javelin Jim

Post by Javelin Jim »

Thanks a bunch. Fortunately, I have an Evinrude. Once again, thank you very much.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Fishbonz, safe to assume you have an Evinrude Ficht? That's what I have and my 175 has been rock solid
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Use a cell phone to take pictures of the old switch and wiring before you take it apart.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Javelin Jim

Post by Javelin Jim »

Thanks Mark!