Researching Fishing Rods

ash
SpeedBump

Researching Fishing Rods

Post by ash »

I have a buddy who asked me some questions last night on Frog Rods so i was curious what others liked and did a google search for frog rod. It brought up many of the old Powell vs Dobyns threads - so today im feeling nostalgic.

Nothing like seeing guys flip flop between manufactures and hate on each other, years later they arent event with the same rod companies. I know its important to help your sponsors make sales but i never have understood it to the point where you disrespect someone and burn friendships. " So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.” -HST

Be good to each other :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Re: Researching Fishing Rods

Post by mark poulson »

Amen. Ford or Chevy, it's all about getting there, no what you ride in.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

My two cents as a retailer and not being bias. At the Hook we sell them all. The top three sold are the Dobyn's, Powell and Bobby's Frog rod from Falcon. I just took on Phenix and they are selling very well.
So pick out which one feels best in your hands and go for it. Not to many people sell Bobby's frog rod so before you buy at least put one of them in your hands
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I don't have a rod sponsor but I stand behind Fred's Magic Stick by IROD. This thing is GOLD! Just has that perfect tip and backbone for frogs.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Fred's Magic Stick all the way. I personally stand by I Rod cause of price durability and I have caught many fish with all their different specific rods specs. All rods now days are great but I personally love Fred's magic stick
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Agreed that is kinda what kills me, I know what I like but that isnt necessarily what the norm is or what you like. Hell my Frog Rod is a Fenwick HMG 7' Heavy with a fast tip. It has been broken in perfectly for me over the years and I will cry the day it departs from me. My second favorite is my Dobyns 736c, but that is my jig stick - so different strokes for different folks.

I appreciate the feedback on the rods you guys sale, that is pretty much in line with what my advice was too.
Links to Check Out -
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

I've been a Phenix guy for almost 20 years. I like the product (not sponsored). I don't have a specific frog rod, just use my UMBX 606H with braid. I have long arms so I like the 6'6" rods.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

I think most rod buyers make the mistake of buying a rod without trying it first. Most people make the mistake of buying this rod or that rod because a sales person said it was good, or so and so endorses it or builds it or it is the most popular rod brand at the time. Sometimes you like them, sometimes you don't.
Most people forget there are a lot of Pro " Promotional " Staff guys out there for many rod companies. If you contact them they should be able to demo rods you might be interested in. People also need to take the time and go to shows like the ISE where you can see them @ their booth where you can ask questions before buying.
I have rods under $100 and rods over $300 that I love to fish. I also have rods I made the mistake of buying without trying based on other recommendations and now they just sit in the corner.
Sometimes the best ones aren't made in China either. I recently got to try and purchased a Cousin Tackle GFR753 frog rod. They are well made and this one will work well.
They are a WB board and BBT sponsor and they also have two rod lines you can choose from, their Premium or Raze series, so go check them out at http://www.cousinstackle.com
Last edited by blkdog812 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

blkdog812 wrote:I think most rod buyers make the mistake of buying a rod without trying it first.
Most here have to buy it before they try it. That's why folks ask about specific models here or other forums--for feedback and to make somewhat educated purchases. Not everyone has access to friends or a source who may have that rod for them to actually "try" before buying.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

A good custom rod builder uses whatever rod blank, reel seat, guides that you prefer and gives you a trail period (up to 90 days) to test the rod, very low risks to buying the rod.
Most anglers could buy off the shelf and can touch, feel, mount a reel for balance etc at a local tackle shop, another low risk option.
Mail order tackle sites you don't have any of those options, but you can save a few $$ and hope the rod works for you.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Damn the one time i go trollin through here and all that i get is serious helpful replies :mrgreen:

Thanks guys and I agree with everything that has been said, always best if they let you try before you buy :lol: hell there are sooo many rod companies out there i would never have to purchase one Ill just keep "demoing" rods for the rest of my life :shock:

Seriously I was just chuckling more about the pro staff back and forth as it really all does come down to whats comfortable for the angler you can only store test it soo much its the field test that matters.

As for custom rods, mos def if you find a custom rod builder you can create a hellva nice rod.
Links to Check Out -
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

754 I Rod , again , good for open water frogging and med to med heavy cover and light enough to throw all day and I use the Dobyns savy micro guide flippin Rod when throwing bigger frogs in the real thick stuff .
RHobbsjr

Post by RHobbsjr »

I am a Loomis fan, I am not sold on technique specific rods at all, that being said I like my GLX 855 JWR for open and medium heavy cover. It is an extra fast taper so the tip is light enough to skip and make precise casting, super light, the rod shuts down and goes straight to meat, after about 8 inches of tip flex. It's an unbelievable as far as weight to strength ratio goes. In slop I like a longer rod but this one by far my favorite.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

fish_food wrote
Not everyone has access to friends or a source who may have that rod for them to actually "try" before buying.
In the old days, I would say you would be right, but in todays world, everyone doesn't need access to special friends or a source.
Contact your retailer or manufacture, they should know who the local pro staff guy is or they should be able to put you in touch with some who would know who they are. Go to the big sale events at these retailers and or seminars were most staff guys show up. You can also get on social media and ask who pro staffs for them.
Try going out to a local tournament and look for the pro staff guys flying their sponsor bling or ask the TD they should know. These guys aren't used enough or they don't promo their stuff enough, so make them earn what they promo and get what fits you, not what everyone else thinks you should use.
Last edited by blkdog812 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You can also contact some of the rod manufs., like Irod and Dobyns, directly, and they can give you contact info for local pro staffers in your area.
These guys all believe in their rods, and want you to get one in you hands ASAP so you'll fall in love, and buy!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY