Restricted area on Eastman.........

Grape Ape

Restricted area on Eastman.........

Post by Grape Ape »

On top of dropping my cell phone into the "pond" yesterday....I saw two boats fishing well inside the restricted area. Then I was thinking....I have been going to this lake for years and have never seen any Rangers out there. About a 1/2 hour later here comes one!! He nabbed one of the two boats! YES!!! I'm pretty sure he cited him too. I was told it's a $300 fine! Ouch.
Then he came over to me and inspected me. I greatly appreciated it actually.....he found nothing wrong and I then thank him for being out there. Interestingly he asked me who the other boat was and I told him I wasn't sure (didn't look at him very well). Anyway....this told me the Rangers must be watching the lake at a distance with telescopes....which I think is great.
Phil Burgess

Re: Restricted area on Eastman.........

Post by Phil Burgess »

WHAT KIND OF BOAT ??????????????/ I BET I KNOW HA HA

JR.....
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Fron a distance it appeared to be a black and silver Ranger.....not sure though.
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the restricted area was set up to prevent a pair of bald eagles from being disturbed?

Rules are rules, no excuse for being in the restricted zone, but honestly I have a hard time believing the eagles would be much bothered. A trip I've taken a couple times is on Lake Buchanon in Central Texas. They have a couple of large tour boats that run up and down the lake. The birds don't seem to mind - on one trip a mature bald eagle swooped down and caught a fish about twenty feet in front of the boat.

On my second trip, the boat traveled near a steep bank, and a young eagle was sitting on a branch over the water. Bear in mind, this is a large double deck tour boat with perhaps 30 people on board. The boat passes him about 15 feet away, and the eagle never flinches, just swings his head back and forth at the people as they go by.

I think the rangers could license a tour company to give tours of the north end of the lake, offset some costs, and still have a nice habitat for our national symbol.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
adamsj13

Post by adamsj13 »

From what I understood is Fish and game closed it off years ago for some type of disease. One of the rangers was telling us they are trying to get F/G to lift the restriction.
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Mark I agree with you. There is absolutely no excuse to be in the restricted area there. It has these huge white buoy markers, with red lettering, strung across the entire area.

The Ranger on duty that day told me they are working on getting this area opened a few monthes out of the year for fishing. As for the eagle bullsh!t....McClure has dozens around the lake nesting. Doesn't seem to bother them at all and there's much much more boat traffic there.

One other thing, the "river" doesn't look like a great area to fish even though I'm sure they're there only because no one (except a few law breakers) have been fishing up there. The area I don't understand is the cove to it's left. Part of was open when the water level is up. Now it's all off limits. Not sure what that's about.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

There is always people over there. Every time i've been near there you can see people in that no fishing zone.
mm

Post by mm »

Hey guys, as long as DFG and the Army Corps have all these tree hugging,leaf licking people working for us, we are SCREWED.
The bald eagles have relocated their nest to another location farther up river but still on lake property.
The rangers will TRY to tell everyone thet they moved because they were bothered by too many boats going in there, but it is always ok for them to take their loud jet drive inboard patrol boat right in close to the eagles.
I guess those birds are only bothered by us fishermen.
Also, they can`t write a ticket for fishing in the closed area.
The only thing they can cite you for is being in there.
However, they may and should and can forward the ticket info. to DFG and you will probably get another ticket for fishing in the closed area as well.
Eastman Lake has always wanted those eagles there so they can say they have a pair of nesting eagles on the property.
They claim these birds are the southern most nesting pair in Calif.
BS, what about Millerton,Pine Flat, and all the unknown nests on private property.
Eastman has always been the lake with all the rules that they don`t enforce regularly.
If its on their agenda to patrol the closure on a certain day, and you go in there,they may cite you.
If they don`t plan on patrolling on that day, you can probably fish there all day.
I was told by the ranger that they have to have two people in the patrol boat (their rules) at all times.
If they don`t have two rangers available, they just don`t patrol on that day.
Last, if the eagles moved their nest because of boat traffic,who`s to blame for it? The people going in there, or the ones that are supposed to keep them out?
I`ve said enough to get myself mad about this whole thing again.
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

The ranger on the lake the other day was all by himself. He was very polite and professional.

I, myself, could careless about going up river. I just want to fish the cove to the left. It has all the cover in it (trees and rock structures). Since the levels had dropped so much they had restricted more of the lake portion. Not sure why.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

You guys are missing the point. It isn't just about baloney and birds.

Fishermen will knock themselves out trying to fish somewhere off limits or posted.

"It must be a REALLY GOOD SPOT, IT'S POSTED!"

If you string a bouy line anywhere, or post your private pond, the guys will crawl through razor wire, and claymores to get to that secret honey hole.

I would like to post a sterile pond just for kicks because I have a bad sense of humor. Of course, I would post my fishing results from that awesome pond, and hang photos in the local bait shop. :D

HAR! A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
bss_hunter

Post by bss_hunter »

That was me who got busted out there...Bald eagle chipped my rago when he dive bomed it in open water so I followed him back in there and gave him a wingful of 2/0 's, ....Glad the ranger didn't find out about that!! :shock:
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

bss_hunter wrote:That was me who got busted out there...Bald eagle chipped my rago when he dive bomed it in open water so I followed him back in there and gave him a wingful of 2/0 's, ....Glad the ranger didn't find out about that!! :shock:
Obviously we know you're joking. It is true the Bald Eagle is no longer an Endangered Species, however there are Federal laws that protect any and all birds of prey, rare or not.

If I was unlucky enough to have an eagle grab a swimbait, I'd be extremely relieved if it only scratched the lure, cause I sure would dread getting our national symbol untangled :cry:
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

they will never lift the restriction

they are keeping it a trophy lake!!!!!!!!!!!!

this comes form the dfg no joke
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!