Retreiving game for young pups

DAN

Retreiving game for young pups

Post by DAN »

There are many Pro and cons regarding Treat Training, It is not as big of a non no as many believe when done with balance and attention to detail. Many puppy owners are familiar with using food treats to teach a puppy things like "Sit," "Here," and "Down." There are some other places where food can be useful in early training of retriever pups. Here are some ideas.
RETURNING WITH A RETRIEVE OBJECT
When throwing things for a young pup to retrieve, I give food treats to encourage him to return to me start with treats often. Then back down the treats and continue the praise. Getting a treat when he gets to me with a retrieve object puts something more in it for the pup in addition to the petting and praise that you will, of course, be using when he retrieves. With many pups, a treat for coming to you with his "prize" can avoid the "keep-away" syndrome from getting a foot hold with your youngster.
Important: After the pup eats the treat, he can have his object back to hold onto if he wants it. Never "steal" the retrieve object from an unwilling pup who has just come to me, doing this discourages returning object to me.
Treats vs. Dragging. Treats are great to encourage a return with the object, Ropes chains and harsh discipline to jerk him/her to me and "correct him for not coming." Don’t get me wrong, a light line on the puppy is useful to keep him from leaving the area entirely with his "toy" It's "management" rather than "obedience training." Keeping him from gnawing on the object and not returning to you.
I don't want any aspect of the retrieving experience to be Not Fun for a puppy, and being hauled or yanked around by the neck while trying desperately to cling to the retrieve object which is so important to him is very upsetting to a youngster with high retrieve desire. I choose times other than during the retrieving game to get into the "You must come when you're called" issue. Keep retrieving and obedience separate when they're very young, and structure the former sessions to keep the puppy out of trouble rather than "correcting" him for errors
To use a drag line (about 20 feet long or so, and NO LOOP OR KNOT in the end) for help focusing during retrieve practice, you get the puppy to come to you by some other means. When he's close to you, you take hold of the dragging line so that he can't totally take off again. You might even follow him briefly as he carries his "toy" rather than making him follow you the moment you have a hold of the line. Stay positive, think direction rather than "obedience." You don't want him lying down and gnawing on what he's retrieved, but as long as he's on his feet and moving he can't do that.
Be sure they complete the task, they must Drop the Object to Eat the Treat! Reinforce dropping the object by rewarding him for returning. Remember that later in his life a formal retrieve training program this will help ensure that he holds onto what he's carrying and that he'll deliver to hand as an obedience matter. Many youngsters I work with usually have so much desire to possess the retrieve object that dropping it isn't a major concern. They only drop it when they have to in order to eat the goodie. So they're not dropping it out in the field. They are doing the essence of "retrieving," which is bringing an object to a person, even when tiny puppies. Extending the retrieve behavior to include "delivery to hand" can and will be dealt with later. (This observation is based on an assumption that, like the vast majority of retriever trainers, you will be using some kind of formal retrieve training ["force fetch" or whatever program you like] later on, and won't be relying totally on puppy habits to get your delivery to hand.)
Youngsters Like Games
For me training is like coaching youth sports, games to teach repetitive behavior. I've used a double treat method to develop a habit of "run out/run back" that seems to help many puppies learn a habit that carries over to retrieving sessions. This way, I get the return I need in a puppy retrieve session, and no food is actually needed during the retrieving session, or only rarely.
Retrieving is a game of moving out to an object and returning and also a big part of upland hunting in the future as well. This technique is simple to teach, and an assistant, a food dish (a large visible one) and treats. Hold the pup and have him watch the assistant drop the treat in the bowl and then step away from the bowl. Release the pup to go get the treat. When you introduce this, your assistant and the food dish should be only a yard or two away from the puppy until he catches on. Then you can lengthen it out. Be sure the puppy can see the dish all the way out, so a lawn or smooth dirt area is the best place for this training.
As soon as the puppy eats the treat, get right behind him offering another treat and attracting him to return to you with excited praise. The pups quickly learn that this is a big game of rush out and rush back, and you don't need to be right behind the puppy with the treat. You should be some distance away when you call the puppy. Now he is developing the habit of returning to where ever he was sent from, and with huge enthusiasm.
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance