Rock Cod on Bass Tackle?

Caudawg

Rock Cod on Bass Tackle?

Post by Caudawg »

How many of you might be interested in a day of fun on the ocean catching rock cod & ling cod with light tackle in shallow water?

If I can get enough interest in this I will charter a party boat or two in the late summer or early fall. Of course there may be some friendly competition involved.

Or, we could have a tackle shop vs tackle shop team challenge whereby each tackle shop or boat dealer assembles a team of 20 or or 25 anglers, charters a boat and we can have a weigh-in at the end of the day and see which team has the best weights, biggest ling cod etc.

Just brain storming here, gang...wanting to gauge the interest level. Please chime in with whether you'd be interested or have some ideas.

I've done these trips before and it was a blast! CHIME IN!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Long Nguyen

Re: Rock Cod on Bass Tackle?

Post by Long Nguyen »

John, I'd be down for a late summer live bait pot luck trip in the bay. Drifting live chovies if pretty fun and the target species would be halibut and stripers. The ocean still gets me seasick, even with Dramamine, so a relaxed bay trip is preferred.

The California Dawn would be the boat for the bay. It's got a galley on board and the capt grew up in a family that earned its livelihood sport fishing the bay.
SCOTT GREEN

Post by SCOTT GREEN »

John, sounds like a great idea. I would suggest private boaters rather than a party boat thing. I think you could probably do a tackle shop theme and have each tackle shop represent X numbers of teams...just food for thought. Great idea, lots of fish & good table fare as well. Got Swimbaits?
greggh

Post by greggh »

What Green said. ODP Vs. North America!!! Green and I would love to compete in bottom fish tourney. Just let us know when and where.

Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Long: I am game for that too. I like the Cal Dawn crew very much and Tawni's food from the galley is awesome!

Scott and Greg: Let's see how many guys have access to private ocean going boats. And let's see if any of the tackle shops/boat shops show an interest in putting team/s together. Nice pics by the way! I love those big black rockfish! They are so much like a bass and taste great!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Caudawg wrote:Long: I am game for that too. I like the Cal Dawn crew very much and Tawni's food from the galley is awesome!

Scott and Greg: Let's see how many guys have access to private ocean going boats. And let's see if any of the tackle shops/boat shops show an interest in putting team/s together. Nice pics by the way! I love those big black rockfish! They are so much like a bass and taste great!
Date depending im in - i dont have too much experiance with this type of fishing only been out once for cod but if we can drink beers and fish in da ocean im in.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

My son and I would be in if dates allow. Used to go with my dad and uncle to shelter cove and fish with spinning rods and 15 lb test. Caught a 14 lb ling when I was 9 years old. Great times.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

I would be down for some of that action...

Catch em on crankbaits is cool

Anything on light tackle is a blast..

lcates

Post by lcates »

i used to go to the islands all the time and after getting are limits of lings we would hammer the rockies with crankbaits and spooks a little hint throw anything red or orange and hold on these fish fight better then the rock fish on the bottom.we would find schools bigger then football fields remember stickbaitImageImage