Smoking Elk Meat

Paul Facio

Smoking Elk Meat

Post by Paul Facio »

I was given some elk meat and have eaten most of it already. Great tasting stuff! I am not a hunter and don't have much experience preparing game. I would like to know if Elk meat can be smoked. I don't want to waste the rest of my steaks if the end result is no good.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice?

Paul Facio
Vice President
Save Phace
Paul F
buck

Re: Smoking Elk Meat

Post by buck »

Ive smoked it but it dries it out a lot ...What is good is smoke it for about 1 hr very cold then bbq it thats awsome
rexford

Post by rexford »

Grind it.

3 pounds ground elk
2 pounds ground turkey
4 tsp Mortons quick cure
2 tbs mustard seed
3 tsp red pepper
2 tsp blk pepper

Turkey adds some fat so elk is not to dry.

throw in fridge for 3 days folding twice daily
form into sausage shaped logs (approx 2" dia)
smoke for 18 hours.

serve cold thinly sliced.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

I guess my question is what cut(s) are you looking to smoke, and are you talking about "low & slow" cooking on a smoker/BBG or are you talking about smoking such as in smoked salmon or even jerky?

In general - leaner & tougher cuts of meat work very well in a "Low & Slow" cook. On the other hand if you're just looking to get some smoke flavor in some steaks, then I would either do as Buck mentioned and hang it in a cold smoker for an hour or just set up a Weber BBQ for indirect cooking, throw some wood chunks (oak or hickory would be good with elk) and once they start smoking nicely place the steaks in the cooler part of the grill, then finish them off over the coals.