Sonarhub with HDS-5 Gen2 Transducer Help

Moderator: Ken Sauret

badcrc

Sonarhub with HDS-5 Gen2 Transducer Help

Post by badcrc »

I purchased the Sonarhub item 000-11142-001 and I want to do Structurescan imaging (downscan and sidescan). I have the HDS-5 Gen2 Non-touch and an 83/200 skimmer transducer on my boat. In the Sonarhub instructions it shows if you connect an LSS-2 to the port on the Sonarhub it has CHIRP OR Structurescan+Single Freq 83hz, or if you connect direct to display you get CHIRP and Structurescan.

1) I was under the impression non-touch Gen2 units couldn't use the LSS-2 without the Sonarhub, so does that mean I would have to connect the LSS-2 to the Sonarhub and choose between CHIRP or StructureScan? If I can connect direct to my unit does that mean I won't have regular 83/200 frequencies?

2) If I get the TM150 tranducer for CHIRP later how do you connect the 83/200 skimmer, TM150, and LSS-2 at the same time? Or does the CHIRP transducer replace the 83/200?

3) I bought the Sonarhub thinking it had all the sonar tech in one unit, but it looks like StructureScan HD on the Sonarhub is different than 3D, so I guess the Sonarhub doesn't have the "StructureScan 3D"? If that's true, what's the difference?

All I want is mostly for 0-200 feet depths, occasionally 200-500 foot depths, and I really want the downscan and sidescan. Right now I only have the HDS-5 Gen2, the 83/200 Skimmer that came with it, and the Sonarhub bare kit and I'm really confused by all the Lowrance/Simrad/Navico names and model numbers. If anyone can offer any help in how to connect everything and what I need for what I'm trying to do I'd appreciate it.
Edd

Re: Sonarhub with HDS-5 Gen2 Transducer Help

Post by Edd »

Run the sonar transducer to the SonarHub and the StructureScan transducer to the back of the HDS. IF you get the TM150 later, you will no longer need the 83/200 transducer that is now on the boat. SonarHub works with HDS Gen1 thru Gen3, with minor feature loss with the Gen1 units.
Yes, SS-3D is newer and different technology than SS-HD. It is SWEET!!!!!
You are pushing the capabilities of StructureScan and DownImaging at depths greater than 200', although, you can still see some dang nice stuff.

Edd
badcrc

Post by badcrc »

Edd wrote:Run the sonar transducer to the SonarHub and the StructureScan transducer to the back of the HDS. IF you get the TM150 later, you will no longer need the 83/200 transducer that is now on the boat. SonarHub works with HDS Gen1 thru Gen3, with minor feature loss with the Gen1 units.
Yes, SS-3D is newer and different technology than SS-HD. It is SWEET!!!!!
You are pushing the capabilities of StructureScan and DownImaging at depths greater than 200', although, you can still see some dang nice stuff.
Edd
Thanks Edd that clears up quite a bit. I also emailed Lowrance tech support early this morning and just got a reply back. Here's what they said:
Lowrance wrote:Thank you for contacting us.
The key is the Structure Scan and Chirp already built into the Sonar Hub so no need for TM 150 CHIRP - you will want to connect the LSS and the 83/200 skimmer to the SonarHub.

You will only be able to have Chirp or StuctureScan available one at a time

Blue connector(Sonar Hub) - 83/200 skimmer

Black connector(Sonar Hub) - LSS

Ethernet (Sonar Hub) to HDS - Yellow Ethernet

Thank you for choosing Navico products!

Navico Technical Support
That makes it sound like my non-touch unit doesn't support the LSS directly which is what I gathered was true from the installation instructions and from specific mentions of "GEN2 TOUCH" for the LSS. So now I'm wondering should I wire the LSS direct to the unit or go through the Sonarhub? And also, what's the purpose of the TM150 if I can do CHIRP with my 83/200? Just more clarity or depth?
Edd

Post by Edd »

I must apologize.....with HDS-5 you can only have one or the other; CHIRP or Structure. But let's face it.....with a 5" screen, given the screen resolution, a split with Structure and anything else will be pushing the envelope.