6' Spinning Rod

Hookset5

6' Spinning Rod

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey all, I recently purchased a 6'6 Medium Okuma spinning rod and liked it. It's an I8 graphite. Then I got carried away with smaller gear and bought a 6' Medium rod. I'm afraid I may have gone too short though because when I set the hook, it's all wrist and no rod. I intended to use this new 6' rod as my light line 8# Ned rig but considering setting the hook, should I change it to a treble rod where I don't set the hook? Any thoughts or advice as to what rig I should use this for? It's an I9 Graphite Shimano.
Rattle

Re: 6' Spinning Rod

Post by Rattle »

If sell
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

If selling it is out of the question I would do one of two things. If you can sell it do so and buy a longer rod that is much more versatile. If not.
1. Put braid on reel to eliminate line twist with a mono leader and use it for a small size top water rod. Spook jrs, Ricos ETC.
2. Put 8 pound flouro and use it for finesse worms with exposed hook rigs only, Senkos, ochos wacky rigged ETC or even Drop shop with nose hook rig wouldn't be too bad but still not ideal for any of these applications...My two cents worth.. Best of luck to ya..
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey thanks for the reply. I think even with an exposed hook you have to set the hook too, don't you? Arthritis in my wrist makes it sort of important. Maybe I'll put some braid on it so I don't have to wrench so hard. I don't know, impulse buy.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

If it doesn't feel comfortable at 6' try to sell it and get what you are comfortable with. I have a couple of 6'6" spinning rods from back in the day and to me they are on the short side, I think 6'8"-7' is perfect for my body and fishing style. Rarley would I see the benefit of a shorter rod, except for maybe trick shots, like skipping. It could be a Senko rod or a small crankbait \ top water rod. It is not only the hook sets that you will suffer from but the extra exertion in casting distances as well as line take up on the hook set. Even for open hook applications that I reel set on, I am usually sweeping the rod up to drive that hook point and pickup that slack line. I like a spinning rod where the butt ends mid forearm gives me max control and power.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

ash wrote: I like a spinning rod where the butt ends mid forearm gives me max control and power.
Me also, I wonder if I can modify it with an extended butt. I've done that before with success using an old rod blank but it's a gamble
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Ash gave you an excellent response. When bass fishing got started in the south during the 60's, guys were using their pool cues with guides attached - 5 1/2 ft rods! They had a lot of power, but try setting the hook with one of those in wind with a big bow in your line - or setting if your bite is 50 ft deep. They quickly learned that the longer length of a rod could help made up for all the loose line hook sets. Today, even with much longer rods and better fishing lines, it is still hard to set the hook properly if we have too much slack in our line!
Marc

Post by Marc »

That rod should work fine for open hook applications and light line as stated above, especially dropshotting with a nose-hooked worm using a Gamakatsu dropshot hook.

When you get a bite you reel quickly until the rod loads up. In most cases you don't need to set the hook with an open hook, but I prefer to still set it once I reeled in all the slack. The key then is to set your drag to slip on the hookset so you don't break your light line.

The shorter length actually provides greater sensitivity for vertical light line dropshotting or shakey head worm fishing in deeper water. Use longer rods when casting away from the boat for quicker line movement on a hookset, but use shorter rods for vertical dropshotting or for pitching a dropshot under boat docks.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Thanks for the tips. I managed to extend the butt section a few inches so it wouldn't hurt my wrist so bad. Epoxy and an old rod and some sand paper does wonder's Just a 2# smally was quite a tug with that smaller butt.

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/downlo ... w&id=27895
Attachments
IMG_2593.JPG
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

I have an older 6' spinning rod that I use for swimming Yamamoto grubs and small Keitechs. It works fine for that but I am not real fond of it for slack line applications. I have some shoulder issues and when the shoulder bothers me I pick up the 6' rod because it weighs almost nothing and use it for awhile. I have landed some really nice bass on that rod.
Nice job on the extension. That should help some.
Spinning Rod

Post by Spinning Rod »

Hi i am John wilson
i bought a spinning rod. it's amazing i really lik it. visit here https://affordablemag.com/best-spinning-rod/