Striped bass might be on their way out

Grumpy

Striped bass might be on their way out

Post by Grumpy »

SloppySeconds

Re: Striped bass might be on their way out

Post by SloppySeconds »

Not good people!!!

This decision will set a very dangerous precedent for managing California sport fish. With this ruling, any non-native game fish in the Delta is now fair game, and that includes largemouth, smallies, spotted bass, catfish, bluegill... you name it.

The most disturbing thing about this is that the judge was able to rule despite no scientific evidence whatsoever! I can't believe that NOAA would side with the water diverters, and that judge would pass down a ruling on CA DFG without any scientific evidence.

Just goes to show you that managing fisheries on a scientific basis and the interests of sportsmen mean nothing in the face of political and economic will. And just to reiterate the tragedy, CSPA suggests that DFG basically cut a deal because they were too broke to fund an otherwise slam-dunk defense (uh, how about no evidence?). What sort of judge doesn't throw out a case on the basis of NO EVIDENCE? Since DFG couldn't afford the legal fees for this round, I'm guessing that there will be no appeal, since clearly the bigger bank account wins. Westlands vs. CA Fishing License buyers.

I hope all those grapes, almonds, pistachios, and cotton are worth it. Those sure will be good on the boat with me when I fish the next FWL squafish tournament. I wonder how long it will take for the commercial charters to fish themselves into unemployment when they pull the limits off? Maybe they can help pick tomatoes in Fresno when the stripers are gone. Oh, sorry, I forgot.... the salmon populations will suddenly rebound unlike anything before, so they'll have plenty of work.

NOT.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

Money talks. Sad.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

Striped Bass have been on their way out ever since the State's water project was turned on......

This particular ruling and those that will come after it are only the last straw.

CSPA is still fighting this hard and they can sure us more money.... it's not over by any means, but it will take much stronger conviction and money if there is to be hope.

I can only speak for myself, but it's not the economy that has stopped me cold from buying a new boat, fishing gear, and patronizing fishing establishment.
blandingbassman

Post by blandingbassman »

Sadly it is getting to be that way in many parts of the country. If the DWR can establish a native species of fish then the next step is to destroy any fish population that they see as a competitor. That is what our fishing license fees go for.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

The DFG must change the size and limits of stripers, so how about 30 fish over 36".