Swimbait Rods???

jeff canterbury

Swimbait Rods???

Post by jeff canterbury »

With all the good info on the reel and swimbait head threads. I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the best rods. I am new to the game for big baits trying to soak up as much as I can from you left coast experts. :)
jcanaday495

Re: Swimbait Rods???

Post by jcanaday495 »

I prefer the Dobyns 795 ML it is an awesome rod. I also use a Shimano Crucial that does a good job that is heavier than the Dobyns. I truelly believe the Dobyns may be the best one out there.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I own several swimbait rods...the Dobyns 795 is without question the most versatile.
You'll need to consider different rods (Dobyns 806/807?) for baits on the larger end of the spectrum, but for most the 795 is a perfect place to start.
offduty

Post by offduty »

You know I have Dobyn's, Loomis, Kistler and Powell and all have there time and place. There are a lot of good rods for larger baits just depends how big a bait you want to throw and how you intend to retrieve it.
Rich
Rich
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

You have to get out and feel the rods and i recommend slinging some baits if you can test them out. You can't get a true feel for the rods without slinging baits on them. Once you do this you will know what is right for your applications.

I have been through a bunch of rods from Graphite USA, All Star Inshores, Graf techs, Powells and fished the Dobyns as well. All are nice rods but for my personal favorite(without getting a custom rod) I go with the Loomis BBR 966. Its a beast of a rod and it gets those pigs in FAST and won't tire you out from throwing all day long. :)

Eric
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com