Swimbait set ups?

S Thurmon

Swimbait set ups?

Post by S Thurmon »

I'm from norcal but figured I'd come here for some answers. In the past I have gotten a few bites with my curado/flip stick set up but it sure is work. Mostly I have been throwing the basstrix, osprey swimbaits(6-8 inches) but am going to try the huddleston. I'm sure I will get a bunch of different answers but please don't be shy. I have seen the velvick video. and thats where I have started. I am interested in rod/reel combos and line sizes. If the rod is the most important item thats where I will start but let me know what you think. I have mentioned the baits I will be throwing.

thanks

Steve
smitty

Loomis Bounce Back 965

Post by smitty »

And a Shimano Calcutta 400 or Diawa Millionaire 300. 20lb Mono is a good starting point on line. The Loomis 965 is the prefered rod by alot of guys because it is stiffer than the 964.
Smitty
> I'm from norcal but figured I'd come here
> for some answers. In the past I have gotten
> a few bites with my curado/flip stick set up
> but it sure is work. Mostly I have been
> throwing the basstrix, osprey swimbaits(6-8
> inches) but am going to try the huddleston.
> I'm sure I will get a bunch of different
> answers but please don't be shy. I have seen
> the velvick video. and thats where I have
> started. I am interested in rod/reel combos
> and line sizes. If the rod is the most
> important item thats where I will start but
> let me know what you think. I have mentioned
> the baits I will be throwing.

> thanks

> Steve
Gerry Mahieu

Re: Loomis Bounce Back 965 with a 400 TE....

Post by Gerry Mahieu »

the only way to fly! Smitty knows!
DDanO

Re: Loomis Bounce Back 965 with a 400 TE....

Post by DDanO »

I definitely agree...I recently got the 965 matched with the 400TE and could not be happier.
Kelly Ripa

I use..

Post by Kelly Ripa »

A Loomis medium Muskey Bucktail rod with a Calcutta 400. It looks like we are all in the same ballpark when it comes to the set up. I messed around with a flouro combo thing but went back to straight 25 Maxima. I don't think line is as much of an issue as being in the right place at the right time is. You will have to find out for yourself but my experiance on the water is that you need to hit your "spots" multiple times to find them in the up and eating period. Have fun, keep at it, and a swimbait will get you your new personal best I promise!
Gerry Mahieu

Re: I use..

Post by Gerry Mahieu »

I'm with Kelly on the line thing....I've been using 25lb. blue P-line......this comes from a couple of dudes who consistantly catch big fish on "Huddies" at Casitas. Why the blue?.....I'm not sure, but I've caught fish on it!
S Thurmon

Have you guys used any of the rogue rods?

Post by S Thurmon »

I have a line on a SB808C rogue. What do you guys think of this rod. It says it is good for 2-10 oz baits. Is this rod maybe too stiff and bulky?

Steve
Rob D.

Re: Have you guys used any of the rogue rods?

Post by Rob D. »

I have that same rod. I had the blank and had it custom wrapped by fishing 25 in perris. I use a calcutta 400 with 25lb.mono, p-line in green. It works great.
Rob Dickson
DL

Rob, do you have a....

Post by DL »

...problem with the memory of the P-line green in a test that high. I used it when I first started slinging swimbaits but found it more wirey than I like, so I switched to 20 lb. Big Game. Smoother and less memory...

DL
Rob D.

Re: Rob, do you have a....

Post by Rob D. »

There is some problem but I just like having the 25 when i'm throwing the heavier baits. I have had my line break before when casting with 20. Probably my fault though for not checking my line. Usually with the 25 if you get snagged you can rip the bait out also.
jeffj

Re: Loomis Bounce Back 966

Post by jeffj »

I use the 966 for bigger baits and the 964 for 7" and smaller baits. I use Big Game 25Lb for bigger stuff and 20Lb for smaller baits all on a Shimano 300.