The count down begins

Colebass

Keep it going!

Post by Colebass »

Sounds like normal stuff when you've been smoking so long. From all my friends that have quite, it seems your doing great!

Best of Luck.
Dave Cole
troutnut

That a GOOD sign!

Post by troutnut »

GUESS WHAT???

YOUR LUNGS ARE HEALING!!!

EXCESS coughing is NORMAL and a good sign. It lasts from a few weeks to several months depending on how bad your lungs were damaged by smoking.

The cilia (little hairs) on the inside surface of your lungs aren't covered in TAR anymore, are working better now and moving more mucus out of your lungs. SO you cough to expel it. Your nasal and throat passages are healing too. You probably are MUCH more susceptible to pollen and allergies right now, since those tissues were used to being covered in tar and smoke. Try an anti-histamine like Alavert ( a once a day , over the counter pill) and drink LOTS more water and juice ( not sodas and beer).

It is also time to really start an exercise program too. Start by at least walking 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time and bring a bottle of ice water with you and drink it all during your walk. You have to flush all the goop out of your system.

Go see your doctor, tell him/her about the coughing, they will give you an inhaler and hopefully some cough syrup with codeine. It really helped me. ( your doctor will give you a BIG "ATTA BOY" too for quitting. You will be impressed how much lower your blood pressure will be.) The only reason I RE-STARTED smoking was because the coughing when I quit smoking was SOOOOO BAD. It is one of the things most of us NEED professional help with while quitting smoking.

What is NEXT? If you DON"T start a regular DAILY exercise program YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT. Food tastes better now, nicotine curbs appetite, smoking keeps your hands busy so you don't eat--- THE ONLY way to prevent it is to exercise daily and be careful with what you eat for the next few weeks.

YOUR DOING GREAT!

PS> Go out and roll up the windows in your truck, park it in the hot sun for a couple of hours, then go open the door and smell how GROSS the upholstery smells from all the cigarette smoke residue. Your sense of smell should have come back enough by now where it will make you nauseous.
Larry Douglas

I'm still plugging along...

Post by Larry Douglas »

I tried to quit smoking the first time on April 7th of this year. I went from 2-2 1/2 packs a day down to 1 cigarette a day. Just teasing myself! I slowly built back up to 15 cigarettes a day.

On June 9th, I went back for a hypnosis tune-up...been smoke free since then. I have no intention of ever smoking again, but only time will tell for certain.

BassBones is right about the coughing thing! More now than before I quit.

I mentioned in a previous post that I was saving the cash I would normally spend on cigarettes. I currently have in excess of $1400 stashed, that would have literally been burned up in smoking!
I smell another trip to El Salto coming on!

Larry Douglas
Randy Yeager

Re: I'm still plugging along...

Post by Randy Yeager »

Bones, looking forward to hooking up with you at Bob's, three more weeks is nothin!

Give us a clue, what technique is your new rod gonna be set up for?

By the way, even after 15 years, once in a while, I still burp up a bit of that tar taste, I must of had quite a load.