The first annual Top Stick Joe’s team championship

Ray L.

The first annual Top Stick Joe’s team championship

Post by Ray L. »

The first annual Top Stick Joe’s team championship was held on Santa Margarita Lake on Sept. 12th. And, Sept. 13th 2009. At the afternoon check in held at the lake the talk was the bite was tough but the big fish were the fish biting. Many teams bragged of 5 to 8 pound fish biting and not releasing baits with no hook. The only problem everyone seemed to be in agreement with that bites were not there for a limit. As usual teams were able to figure the green fish out.
At the morning meeting Monster energy drink supplied Monster Hitman Energy Shooters for all the anglers. Lake Fork Tackle also supplied sample packs of there soft plastic line of baits for each angler. All the anglers at the meeting were very appreciative to both companies for there generous donation.
Day 1 started out with the air temp. During launch at 70 degrees at 6:30 a.m. and the air temp just kept rising all day long. 12:30 PM and flight 1 came to weigh in. and anticipation was high as some teams said they had a big fish to weigh and 1 or 2 said they had a limit.
When all was said and done only 3 teams had a limit, but many others seemed to be on the right fish to win but only had 3 or 4 fish to weigh in.
Here are the day 1 results;
1st. Jae Cho & Soon Chul Lee 17.14
2nd. Ken Burkhart & Daren Lacher 16.69
3rd. Brad Szarkowski & Lenny Scinto 13.67 B.F. 7.17
4th. Lance Karafelas & DR. Dan Proctor 12.95
5th. Jon De Monet & Crystal Lakes 11.38
6th. Mark Bowman & Mario Ringo 10.26
7th. James Campbell & Richard Thomas 5.05
8th. David Handy 1.46
9th. Jeff Jue 1.16
10th. Jim Basham & David Cunningham 1.05
11th. Joe Payne & Keith Cummings 0.00
12th. Steve Derbyshire & Chad Pierce 0.00
13th. John Younce & Chud 0.00

I would like to thank Brad & Lenny for bringing Richard Thomas in to weigh in there fish while Joe Payne and his Partner Keith Cummings towed in James Campbell because his batteries were not working. Thanks guys, very unsellfish of you to help another team out. Great job.

After a very exciting day 1 weigh in the anglers were treated to a great B.B.Q. of cheeseburgers and hot dogs with all the fixings to go with them. During the B.B.Q. we held a great prize raffle that included ROBO Worms, Huddleston Deluxe Swimbaits, Black Dog Baits, Finatics Clothing, Tackle Warehouse gift cards, Team Davies Tear shot weights and clothing, Rapala X Wraps, Shell Gas Cards as well as Chevron Gas Cards, Castaic Swimbaits, Product donated by Anglers Marine, Trolling Motor Dr. Donations, American Express Gift Cards, Revenge Baits, Sunline, Berkley Baits, Maxima Line.
Every Angler who attended was able to win something thanks to so many generous sponsors as well as friends in the industry. John Barron and I would like to personally thank all the sponsors and friends who generously donated product to this season’s championship.

Day 2 started a lot different than day 1 as a dry cold front came through and the air temp in the morning went from 70 degrees at launch to below 50 at launch time. As per day 1 Monster Energy drink and Lake Fork Tackle had samples for all the anglers in the morning.
While boats were launching you could tell there was some nervousness in the air because it was day 2 and it was for all the marbles, cash and Champion of the Top Stick Joe’s.
The boats all headed in different directions and with cloud cover in the morning, what team was going to make the proper adjustments on the water. Weigh in would tell all for the teams.
The first boat was Jim Basham and he set the bar for big fish with a 3 plus pounder. Would we see a fish over 7 pounds again today and would we see a 20 pound bag. Time would tell all. 5 pounder after, 5 pounder came to the scales but limits were again short to come by on day 2. 1 Team though came to the scales asking for 4 bags. Many looked over there shoulder upon hearing this and decided to watch for the next few minutes.
Lance K. and Dan P. brought there fish to the scales hoping to break the 20 pound mark for 5 fish. They did break it plus a little more with a total weight for 5 fish of 21.90 pounds. Then came Ken B. and Daren L. to the scales but were not able to muster up the same fish as day 1 they were only able to get 5.99 pounds for the day. Last to weigh in with a chance to pass the overall leaders were Jon De Monet and Crystal Lakes. There first day weight had them in 5th. Place but they were brining a limit to the scales. There limit of 12.15 pounds did move them up 3 spots but was not enough to take over the lead. In the end Lance K. and Dan P. were the winners at Santa Margarita Lake, Champions of the Top Stick Joe’s Finals.
The awards were handed out at the conclusion of the event with the top 4 teams explaining how they caught there fish. The 4th place team of Mark Bowman and Mario Ringo told the crowd there fish came on Norman DD 22’s on steep walls. The third place team of Ken Burkhart and Daren Lacher explained to everyone present that they junk fished from 5 to 40 feet of water. Jon De Monet and Crystal Lakes said they caught there fish shallow from 0’ to 10 feet on swim jigs and frogs. The winning team of Lance Karafelas and Dr. Dan Proctor told the crowd that on day 1 Dan caught all there fish on dark colored swim jigs, while on day 2 Lance Karafelas made a small adjustment to swimming a white jig to catch over 20 pounds of fish for the win.
I would like to thank all the sponsors for this past season and the championship for making this season such a great success. Without your help we could not have made this event such a fun time for all who attended. ROBO Worms, Huddleston Deluxe Swimbaits, Black Dog Baits, Finatics Clothing, Tackle Warehouse gift cards, Team Davies Tear shot weights and clothing, Rapala X Wraps courtesy of Rapala Pro Staffer Troy Lindner, Shell Gas Cards as well as Chevron Gas Cards, Castaic Swimbaits, Product donated by Anglers Marine, Trolling Motor Dr. Donations, American Express Gift Cards, Revenge Baits, Sunline, Berkley Baits, Maxima Line, Troy Lindner, Monster Energy Drink, Peregrine 250 and Bend’s Mender.

I would also like to thank John and Marla Barron for making a small idea happen. Without the 2 of you we could have never got off the ground.
I would also like to thank my staff, Jim Basham and David Cunningham, Lance (the mad Greek) Karafelas and Dr. Dan Proctor, and David Handy for all your hard work and commitment to this region. Thank You.
We look forward to next season with great enthusiasm and hope you will come and join next season.

Here are the final results:
Place Team Total weight
1 Lance Karafelas/Dan Proctor 34.85
2 Jon Demonet/Krystal Lakes 23.53
3 Ken Burkhart/Daren Lacher 22.68
4 Mark Bowman/Mario Ringo 17.6
5 Jae Cho/Soon Chul Lee 17.14
6 Brad Szarkowski/Lenny Scinto 16.56
7 Jeff Jue 10.1
8 James Campbell/Richard Thomas 9.77
9 James Basham 4.14
10 John Younce 3.46
11 Joe Payne/Keith Cummings 1.7
12 Steve Derbyshire/Chad Pierce 1.47
13 David Handy 1.46
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
Kelly Ripa

Re: The first annual Top Stick Joe’s team championship

Post by Kelly Ripa »

WOW.....I assume Jae & Soon fished that second day and the patterns for each team were all over the place with fish from zero to 40 feet. That is just amazing to see the ups and downs between each day. I called Yoz each day and each day I gave him my take on what he had going. Actually he had very little sucess but I kept root'n for my former partner and call'n em the way I saw'em. I'm glad he was able to catch a fish AND the raffle sounds like it was an awesome deal for the Angler's! I'm glad there was some fun had at a tournament as that sometimes gets lost. Congrats to the Tournament directors and all who were behind the scene's this year AND Congrats to the anglers who made the competition enjoyable and competitive at the same time. The AOY race was exciting to watch here on Californiafishingforums all year long and I'm looking forward to dusting off my tackle and fishing this circuit next year. Thanx for the write-up Ray...It means alot to us landlubbers... :wink: ..

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Sounds like I missed out, garuns brah I will
be there next year
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

pics are going to be up soon. We just went through them today and need to caption some of them.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com

Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

What lake will Joe's TOC be at for 2010

Jim
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Rays gonna wait ro announce that one after states as well :lol:
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

We have not discussed it yet much. I have an idea and John has one as well. We will decide more when he gets back from Mead. We just needed a break after the TOC with the Joe's and he and DL were also running the Pro's T.O.C.
Hey we have a good schedule out at least.
I do think we are trying to get it around the same time frame though.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com