Is there a difference between stock Curado drags???

crazychuy

Is there a difference between stock Curado drags???

Post by crazychuy »

To All,

Do you think it makes much of a difference switching out the stock Curado 200e drags to the aftermarket smoothdrag Carbontex washers?

What do you think about swapping out drags on the Curado 300D, too?

I just got these reels and they're new to me. The Curado 300D has only been used twice on the water.

Thanks,
Tony
Eric Ocampo

Re: Is there a difference between stock Curado drags???

Post by Eric Ocampo »

I get a lot less drag slip on hooksets with the carbontex. just dont over grease them. I added some to my 300dsv but havent used it yet. the stock drag washers in the 300d seem to be much better material then in the 200e.
But this is just my opinion, others say oem is the best... for 8 bucks a pop cant hurt to try it
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Eric Ocampo wrote:I get a lot less drag slip on hooksets with the carbontex. just dont over grease them. I added some to my 300dsv but havent used it yet. the stock drag washers in the 300d seem to be much better material then in the 200e.
But this is just my opinion, others say oem is the best... for 8 bucks a pop cant hurt to try it
Oh, but it can hurt. Aftermarket drags can cause far more problems than they solve. Take a quess how many reels I received in 2010 with issues caused by aftermarket drags?
More than 20 less than 40! Three major issues with AM drags.
1) They can cause drag stack issues, causing a roughness on retrieve.
2) The tend to burn away drag grease as they cause far more friction, next thing you know you are operating with a dry drag system, which Shimano reels are not designed to do. They are designed to utilize a wet drag system.
3) You tend to end up with a drag that is either ON or OFF with no mid-range, when utilizing AM washers.
Never ceases to amaze me how many people think aftermarket is always better....

Dan

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

no argument here, you are the reel guru . I switched to am drags for my older reels for that very reason.... you ask guys that use the older scorpions and 100 curados and #1 issue is the "lightswitch" like drag. what would be your solution to this if am drags are garbage?
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Shimano carbon washer bnt 2137, and just to clarify I didnt say AM drags were junk, just that they are not the end all solution. Most of the time drag issues are caused by improper lubrication, or no lubrication at all.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

How often should you lube your drags, and what lube should you use?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

really depends on the reel, and how much you use it. Once a year would cover most, and you should only use Shimano drag grease. Shimano reels through some of their retailers or you can call and buy it direct from Shimano.

Dan