Thru hull puck in front

Moderator: Ken Sauret

BMX Bassin

Thru hull puck in front

Post by BMX Bassin »

Was thinking bout putting a thruhull transducer right at the water line in the bow of my boat. Any reason why it wouldn't work?
Thanks
BMX Mike
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Re: Thru hull puck in front

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

If your up on pad and using it for your console graph all but the last few inches of your boat are out of the water so it wont work. If your using it for your bow graph what purpose would it serve over the normal T/M mount ducer? Plus it may end up being behind where you stand showing what you've already passed over vs the T/M ducer which is two feet in front of you. Doesn't sound like a useful idea
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I think the angle you would have to mount it at so it is level with the water/bottom would mean the signal at the rear of the puck would have to travel through more epoxy, and that might give you a skewed reading.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

My bass cat came from the factory with a puck mounted up front. It works. I have one wired to to the TM also as a spare.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Champion Jon wrote:My bass cat came from the factory with a puck mounted up front. It works. I have one wired to to the TM also as a spare.
Does your puck face straight down, or forward?
CLEAN AND DRY
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Straight down. It looks like they built a spot specifically for it to mount. It sits pretty close to where the seat pedistal mounts. It's hard to get to though. I would not be able to change it I don't think.
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:If your up on pad and using it for your console graph all but the last few inches of your boat are out of the water so it wont work. If your using it for your bow graph what purpose would it serve over the normal T/M mount ducer? Plus it may end up being behind where you stand showing what you've already passed over vs the T/M ducer which is two feet in front of you. Doesn't sound like a useful idea
Well sounds like it has already been done so I t does work. i wanted to Keep it off the trolling motor bottom and keep away from hitting ****. And I was thinking of running 2 seperate units up front. A lowrance mounted unit in factory spot networked with my dash HDS and a Garmin with the forward imaging. And I wanted to keep the pucks away from each for interference reasons.
BMX Mike
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

BMX Bassin wrote:
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:If your up on pad and using it for your console graph all but the last few inches of your boat are out of the water so it wont work. If your using it for your bow graph what purpose would it serve over the normal T/M mount ducer? Plus it may end up being behind where you stand showing what you've already passed over vs the T/M ducer which is two feet in front of you. Doesn't sound like a useful idea
Well sounds like it has already been done so I t does work. i wanted to Keep it off the trolling motor bottom and keep away from hitting ****. And I was thinking of running 2 seperate units up front. A lowrance mounted unit in factory spot networked with my dash HDS and a Garmin with the forward imaging. And I wanted to keep the pucks away from each for interference reasons.
It's a great idea!
Let us know how it works if you do try it.
CLEAN AND DRY