Tips for taking your son/daughter out fishing

onemorebass

Tips for taking your son/daughter out fishing

Post by onemorebass »

I am very excited to take my son fishing for his 1st time and was wondering what were some of the great tips you fellow fishermen/fathers could offer me.

The weather this weekend will be an ideal opportunity.

This is what I have right now:

1. Coast Guard life jacket with head flotation device for his appropiate weight(he's a small 26lbs)...limit 30lbs
2. All the required boat safety items...life jackets with kill switch, flotation device, horn(siren), fire ext. etc...
3. Sunscreen and hat
4. Will bring plenty of fluids and food(snacks)
5. Change of clothes and baby bag
6. Of course, his own Spiderman rod/reel
7. ?????

BTW: He just turned 2

http://calfishing.com/gallery/d/16123-2 ... nkbait.jpg

Thanks, Wade
StockOption

Re: Tips for taking your son/daughter out fishing

Post by StockOption »

1) Be patient.
2) Pick a spot with plenty of bluegills and bring some live bait.
3) Pick up on things that he is enjoying even if it's not actually fishing and let him enjoy himself (let him be a kid).
4) Relax and plan to fish a shorter day than you might normally
5) Bring a surprise for him (special candy, small toy).
6) If you hook a fish on your "big pole" let him help reel it in.
7) Ensure he's safe at all times, enjoy and take a lot of pictures.

Where are you heading? The bane of this nice weather will be the increase in boat traffic at most of the area lakes this weekend. Don't forget we spring ahead this Sunday so you can stay out a bit longer on Sunday if desired.
Kurt
edbass

Post by edbass »

1. Don't plan on doing much fishing yourself.
2. I would bring live bait like worms and a bobber to catch bluegills instead of fishing for bass. He is too small to throw a swimbait all day lol.
3. Don't go from sun up to sun down, a few hours might be all he can stand.
4. Take the time to point all of the sights and sounds of nature it will help break up the day during the low times of not getting bites.
5. Remember all he wants to do is catch something it does not need to be the biggest fish in the pond, all he wants is action.
6. lots of snacks, lots of snacks.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

never had a chance with my son...but have enjoyed many days since with him and grandkids....dont fergit the CAMERA...grandsons favorite moment...lil jig head..with a night crawler..equaled 4lb LM at clearlake...had the camera.....jack
BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan »

The most important piece of equipment. His favorite toys. He'll fish for a minute then its either snack time or play time and that's when you fish. If you catch a fish, he's reeling it in. Don't get so caught up in trying to get him to fish, I did that. Let him enjoy the time with Dad. He'll fish, then play, then eat, then try to throw something in the water. :shock: Try to get some fishing in for yourself and let him do the reeling. And don't forget the camera. Good luck.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Definitely bring lots of snacks and drinks. Maybe even a favorite toy or something to keep him happy in case there's no fishing activity.

Hopefully you'll run into a nice pack of bluegill to have fun with - inside marinas, Disco Bay, etc. would be a great place to dunk some worms with the kiddie.

Short day - keep it short, even if he's having a great time. It's better to leave with him wanting more than to wait until he's tired of it. That way he'll want to go back out again!

Sunscreen and a hat. Maybe even an umbrella - it might get kind of warm out there for him. Bring a bucket or a can for him to pee in if he needs to.

Just in case, bring a little first aid kit - bactine, bandaids, treezers, etc. If they even still make the stuff, there was a product for kids when they cut their teeth called "Numzit" gel that was in a tube. It works great if he pokes himself with a hook, gets a splinter or even a bee sting or 'skeeter bite.

Take some time to show him all the other things going on out there - birds, ducks, racoons, cows.

Above all, keep it fun, devote the day to him and make sure you bring your camera with fresh batteries!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
onemorebass

Post by onemorebass »

You guys are awesome...some great advice and tips.

First aid kit..got one, but a great tip

I forgot about his toys...that's a must

Camera and camcorder...very important

PATIENCE... :shock: That's probably my favorite Stockoption(thanks)

I didn't mention this earlier, but I did plan on idling around and show him the lake and the surrounding enviroment. He loves to be outside, so I'm sure he will enjoy it.
Last edited by onemorebass on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

It may be a bit early for the bluegill to be on fire in some lakes, but in the summer that is all I target with the kids. They relate well to the visual aspect of a bobber and when you find the bluegill it is almost every cast. Wax worms are my favorite bait for a number of reasons.

This weekend I will be at a small lake with my 4.5 yr old and my buddy's 3.5 yr old. I plan on dragging a minnow on a split shot behind the boat and when the boys are bored (2-4 minutes after shutting down the motor) they can watch the rest of the minnows in the livewell.

Learn from my mistake and take 6-8" of foam pipe insulation and use a couple of zip ties to fasten it to the spiderman rod just above the reel (might want to wrap the zip ties with electical tape to prevent him getting scratched). When my guy was 2 he dropped his rod and there went his pole. NOT A HAPPY MOMENT.

All they want to do is cast and reel in. So I cut the point off his hook and left the bend so I could put a plastic bait on. His last bait was some 10" alligator headed purple bait that cast a mile and looked cool swimming back to the boat.

Let him help drive the boat and move from spot to spot with the big motor.

Have fun.
onemorebass

Post by onemorebass »

Thanks for the rod advice Scott...don't want that to happen.

I here you guys about the bored period and that's why I thought about letting him sit with me as we drove around...I figured if we're moving around, it keeps him entertained.

I also like the livewell thought, because I figured if we get one or two...I'll stick them in the live well(probably spots) and let him play with them.

Thanks guys...
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

One other thing. when you do catch a fish put it in the livewell. My kids use to love opening the livewell and watching the fish in there. This will help with the play time. Oh and make sure the trip is completely about your kid and not about anything else.

Rodger
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dont forget your cell phone. That way you can call your wife to take him to the hospital when he gets the treble hooks from a rattle trap stuck in his life vest, Chin, and palm of his hand at the same time. That is what happend to my youngest the first time I took him out. He was about 2 or 3 years old at the time. He fell while in the boat and landed on the trap. What I learned was not to leave any poles with trebles on the deck. He is 13 now and still loves to fish, so it didnt scare him too much. If you are going to a lake I would let him drag a worm around on a split shot, should catch some fish.
Brian
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Extra gas in the boat. My 3 year old daughter fishes for a while and then tells me "I want to go fast daddy"

I went a few times with her last summer and she keeps asking me when we are going to go.
onemorebass

Post by onemorebass »

Brian...sorry to hear about that, but a good tip to pass on.

Sacto John, fortunately, I have a Merc 60HP 4-stroke and I don't think I could empty the tank in one day, but thanks for the heads-up.

I also considered doing a little trolling...mainly because I can keep the boat moving(inhibit boredom) and when we get one(bass/trout) whatever...that he could reel it in.

Thanks for the replys...
Wade
NaCl

Circle hooks only....

Post by NaCl »

If you are fishing a spotted bass lake like Oroville, he'll get plenty of bites to keep him interested. I'd suggest no treble hooks on the deck and no "open" hooks, such as darterheads. When I used to guide parents with children, I'd wacky rig a 9J Senko on a small circle hook. Never got even one hook point in a finger but the kids caught plenty of bass. The best thing about those circle hooks is the child doesn't have to do any hookset...just reel in the fish.

Sounds like you have all the other bases covered. Although, there are a couple additional guidelines I'd suggest:

1. First trip...no more than 2 hours. Leave him wanting more. (Someone else already suggested this and I strongly agree.)

2. Don't insist on first light. Take him out when the day has warmed up a bit. That early morning nip in the air is invigorating to us but a small kid on his first trip will just feel cold.

3. If you can work out the logistics, YOU go fishing alone at first light and have your wife meet you at the dock around 9 AM with your son. Why? You can locate some active fish and take him straight to them, making sure he has action right away....and he got a full night's sleep, had breakfast and its warmer out.

4. Take him out for lunch or a special treat when you get off the water. My kids used to love "going fishing" because of the giant milkshake or chocolate dipped cone on the way home.

5. "Check" his rod every time YOU get a bite on yours. Have him "hold" daddy's rod "for a minute" while you check his bait. Then, when the fish starts tugging on your rod, you wrap your arms around him and help "him" catch "his" fish on your rod. Its best if you also use circle hooks so he doesn't see you setting the hook before handing him the rod He'll think he actually caught it himself.

Funny story about that...when my daughter was very young, she'd tell everyone that she was a better fisherman than me because she always caught more fish. When she reached about 6 years old, I stopped handing her my rod and let her catch her own fish.

After one trip, she informed my wife that she didn't have a very fun fishing trip. Concerned, I asked her why and she replied, "I liked it better when you let me catch YOUR fish!" Turns out, she figured out what I was doing a year earlier but she enjoyed the game of me hooking fish and letting her reel em in. Here I thought it was a secret...DUH!

.....NaCl
Last edited by NaCl on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

I started taking my grandson at two. Besides all the sound advice make sure you bring a pillow for when he falls asleep.

I learned the hard way, use a shoelace or something to tie the rod to his hand for when he casts. Cody has two poles at the bottom of Oroville.

As far as catching fish, if I understand correctly you're going to Oroville. The spots are doing pretty good, but the young salmon are everywhere. Finding the schools is easy. They follow the bait in most every cast biting at it or hanging on till they get to the boat.
Tie on a small spinner or drown a worm he'll catch lots.
Just call me Tule bender
jacob

Post by jacob »

have fun!!!! :D :D
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

The most important thing is having fun..Don't spend all day on the water..Take some time for some rock throwing or just sitting and gabbing..It has been a very long time since I have taken a young one fishing, but I remember the most important part is the going..As they get older, the catching part becomes important..Eventually the art of actually fishing becomes important..But you have to start with the fun..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
onemorebass

Post by onemorebass »

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments/advice/tips.

Wade
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

Where are you heading? Going to take my 2.5 year old out on Tuesday! PATIENCE is the best thing to bring! Fish in the livewell is the best entertainment!

Jeff H.
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
onemorebass

Post by onemorebass »

I will be taking him to Pine Flat.

The other lakes I fish will be too crowded with the warmer weather.

Patience is the one important factor to being a swimbaiter I've learned well(skunked days) :oops: , so I should be OK.

Thanks!
Bassman35

Post by Bassman35 »

I take my 3 and 5 yr olds all the time. Here are the most important tricks.

1) all the safety stuff it looks as though have been covered.
2) PATIENCE - its not your trip its theirs!!!!!!!!
3) dog lease- run it through between the reel and the 1st eye and clip it to the boat. This way WHEN they throw it overboard you can just get it back
4) Take all your pliers and hide them. Kids love to throw EVERYTHING overboard.
5) The 1st LEGAL fish leave in the livewell. This is an hour worth of entertainment itself. I say legal because my uncle took my cousins kid and got a ticket with a 14 7/8 inch fish at Mcclure.
6) let them take any toys that are waterproof.
7) Make sure to bring 2 cameras- 1 for each of you
8) DONT bring any fluids that have color- They will spill and stain!! I still have orange on my deck.
9) Make sure they can lay down and nap.
10) If you feel a strike give the rod to them and say I cant catch anything y dont you try. They fall for it till their 5 :lol:
Hope this helps,
Bryan Did I mention Patience? :lol:
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

I took my kids to a private/public place just outside of Sacramento.
Called Ryan and Amanda's fishing hole.com
Every cast was a bass.
What memories.
If you can try something like that. Every cast. :wink:
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com