Fishing Rods

Powell

Fishing Rods

Post by Powell »

I've been out of the fishing realm for about 5 years and looking to get back in. I was overwhelmed by the rod and reel choices when trying to decide my new setups. I used to fish St. Croix (Avid) rods and Shimano (Curado100) reels, but now there are twice as many brands out there. Anyone have some suggestions on rod and reel setups? I loved the sensitivity of the Avids and the smoothness of the Curados, but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
MGJR

Re: Fishing Rods

Post by MGJR »

There are a lot of quality rods and reels out there. In part, it is what you are looking to use it for and what you are willing to spend. I can only tell you what I like.

For rods, I think Kistler Rods are very well made, sensitive, strong and cost competitive with any other rod on the market. They have a solid warranty. Most models are made from North Fork Composites blanks (Gary Loomis). You can find them at www.kistlerrods.com. If you have any questions, please let me know.

For spinning reels I go between Penn Battle or Penn Fierce and Shimano Symetre or Saros. Baitcasters, I still like Curados, but there are several other brands at or below that price point that are quality.

Tight Lines,

MIKE
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I like the Curado 100s also. Still buy them on e-bay when I can get them for around $50 then have them serviced. Good as new and a lot cheaper.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
weekendbassangler

Post by weekendbassangler »

As far as rods go I would check out what Cousins has to offer. There is actually a link to their website on this page. Super sensitive and many models that will cover all your needs. As far as reels go I am a fan of the Abu Garcia Revo series. I think the SX is a great workhorse reel but again they have models that cover every technique. Same with the new Revo spinning reels. The gear ratio on them is amazing. Great for getting those deep fish off the rock piles.
There are always new places to go fishing. For any fisherman, there's always a new place, always a new horizon.

Jack Nicklaus
basstards23

Post by basstards23 »

My two cents, you are correct. The market has greatly changed over the last five years. Just about every rod manufacturer makes a quality rod. Better material, lighter and more sensitive.
However, I tend to side with weekendbassangler. Cousins Tackle makes great all American made rods right here in California. For bass specialty rods they make the Raze, Graphite Magnum Bass, Fiberglass Magnum Bass and XI Hi-Modulus Series Rods. The Raze Series carries a three year warranty and the other lines are lifetime.

Check out this awesome YouTube videoto see the rod building process.

For reels my preference is the AbuGarcia SX and STX models. Ultra light weight and every gear ration you'll need. The Carbon Matrix drag system is as smooth as can be.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns Rods has just about anything you could want in a Bass rod. We have rods from 6'3" to one piece 9 footers. I believe each angler has his own likes. Some anglers want a slightly more powerful rod, others a lighter one. So we build 4-6 powers in most lengths. Our popular models will have both split and full handles for added choices. I'm not even sure how many models we have but 120 plus. Price point from $109 to $350 all with lifetime warranty. We're all fishermen here and know what to build for fishermen.

Also, there's a lot of differences in rods. MANY different grades of material and different resins. Japan and Korea build best blank materials but many rod companies won't pay the high price of better materials. Guides, cork, reel seats, fit and finish all vary a lot in pricing. Many companies will not use cork because EVA or foam handles are super cheap and cork is expensive. You can get a set of China guides for $1-$2 or less but if you use Fuji you may pay 3X that or more for a single guide.

It all depends on what an angler wants and what he's willing to spend on a rod.

Also customer service is a big deal. I feel customer service and quality are both top priority. I hate automated phone systems so we answer our phones. We offer rod advice to anglers calling dozens of times everyday. If you have a rod question, call us. Dan, Richard, and myself handle these calls. We'll ask questions about how and where you fish, line and bait size, length of rod preferred and dial you into the right rod. We do this 20-40 times everyday so we've become pretty good at it. If we can help, call us at 530-671-1989 THX!!!!
scott h

Post by scott h »

^^^^^ :!: personalized service from the man who owns the company , that's pretty special rite there. I have been a Lamiglas die hard for many years and I have been on the search for a replacement "brand" which is no easy task for someone who fishes as much as I do,and looking to replace 30 rods, the number one thing I have searched high and low is warranty and customer service. When I make that kind of investment in rods I want to know that I'm getting what I want out of a rod and I want to know that it is backed by a good warranty and I am going to get it dealt with in a timely fashion, I have looked at alot of the top rod manufacturers and I have got to say Dobyns rods has the best selection with many many choices for alot of applications, they answer the phone which is huge! And the warranties are as good as they come.Bottom line is I am spending my hard earned cash on a product I want to get the best I can afford, and with all of the options Dobyns rods offer it would be harder to find a rod you didn't like in their line up!
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Robber65

Post by Robber65 »

Ditto on the Dobyn's Rods. The service and knowledge they have is outstanding.
Powell

Post by Powell »

Thank you everyone for you input. Greatly appreciated.
mahoney

Post by mahoney »

buy american loomis, cousins, st croix not these crap Chinese rods. they are cheeply made, guides pop out all the time no quality control.
DDG

Post by DDG »

mahoney wrote:buy american loomis, cousins, st croix not these crap Chinese rods. they are cheeply made, guides pop out all the time no quality control.
Pretty sure those three rods you just mentioned are manufactured over seas, the parts are most likely from over seas and if anything the rods are assembled here or sometimes not even that.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Since most rods out there are very good, why not take this opportunity to get a whole series of rods with your own name on them?
Powell Rods.
I would have done that, but there are no Poulson Rods available, yet! :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

mark poulson wrote:Since most rods out there are very good, why not take this opportunity to get a whole series of rods with your own name on them?
Powell Rods.
Heck, look at the rods Gary Dobyns fishes. They have his name on them.
I would have done that, but there are no Poulson Rods available, yet! :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

You are right where you need to be.. St Croix and Shimano!!! Avids are the best rod out there for the money. I do like the Legend Tournament rods also and if money is no object the Elites are incredible. Since you have fished the avids don't go down to the mojo or the Premier. They are good for the money but not the quality of the Avids !!!
Powell

Post by Powell »

Thanks again everyone for your comments. Now I just have to figure out how to drop thousands of dollars on my equipment again :) I knew i should have never thought i would totally get of of the sport.
mahoney

Post by mahoney »

Pretty sure those three rods you just mentioned are manufactured over seas, the parts are most likely from over seas and if anything the rods are assembled here or sometimes not even that.

your incorrect go to the cousins factory in huntington beach and watch them make the rod.