3/26/16 - Delta

ElGuapo

3/26/16 - Delta

Post by ElGuapo »

Launched out of Russo's at 7:15. Fished inside flooded islands all day, south facing banks. Water started out at 57 degrees and was in the low to mid 60 by the end of the day. Water was stained, 1-2' visibility pretty much everywhere. If they were spawning I couldn't see 'em.

Caught 7 fish. Drop shot, jig and chatterbait, off hard tule clumps and in sparse tules, couple off stick ups. How did everyone else do?

mark poulson

Re: 3/26/16 - Delta

Post by mark poulson »

You make it SOOOO hard not to be jealous!
I fished the same program Friday, and had seven fish, five keepers for about 9lbs.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

After teaching a photo workshop in Carmel I got to visit the Delta for three days again. My buddy Mike M. and I did pretty well again too. We both got eights, some sevens, lots of fives and sixes. Mostly chatters and blades again. Fun stuff.

Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

mark poulson wrote:You make it SOOOO hard not to be jealous!
I fished the same program Friday, and had seven fish, five keepers for about 9lbs.
I was basically the same on Friday as well. 12 fish, my best 5 was about the same 9 lbs or so. Almost all of my bites came on a spinnerbait.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Nice!

I boated over 20 today. All were average size with 1 4lb fish.

I got them all on a spinnerbait.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Freefall wrote:Nice!

I boated over 20 today. All were average size with 1 4lb fish.

I got them all on a spinnerbait.
Oh man. I gotta up my spinnerbait game.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

mark poulson wrote:You make it SOOOO hard not to be jealous!
Dang Mark, I'm jealous! I was working on Friday! :D
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Got to Mildred around 9:30 today. Caught about 10 all day up to 3 lbs. The last couple trips have been very frustrating. The fishing has been fairly tough and no size.
edsterone

Post by edsterone »

I was there Wednesday and Thurs. Thursday I fished the Mokelumne with very few bites. Usually do pretty good there. the next morning i ran into a guy who said they sprayed and killed all the weeds in that area so I went to fish Franks tract area. Caught a bunch of fish mostly Senkos in the tules and a square bill against the rip rap walls. I put together about a 13 pound bag (best 5 fish) which included one fish that went just over 7 pounds. threw a spinner for the majority of the day but only came up with a few pesky stripers on it. Thought for sure i would get more bites on the spinner bait. Wish I knew where to find more clearer waters.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Whoopbass wrote:Got to Mildred around 9:30 today. Caught about 10 all day up to 3 lbs. The last couple trips have been very frustrating. The fishing has been fairly tough and no size.
All the fish I got around Mildred were on the smaller side. I did very well there in the fall but those betterfish aren't to be found. At least not up around the tules.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Cooch said if you're catching small fish shallow, or in the tulles, pull farther out, or turn around and fish the water in front of them. He said the females are out there, waiting to move up.
Guapo, I saw you did that with your chatterbait.
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

mark poulson wrote:Cooch said if you're catching small fish shallow, or in the tulles, pull farther out, or turn around and fish the water in front of them. He said the females are out there, waiting to move up.
Guapo, I saw you did that with your chatterbait.
Right, I did a guide trip with Cooch a year ago Feb and learned a bunch about the Winter-pre spawn transition which it feels like we're at the tail end. I remembered what he said about the females being a little farther out and started fishing the first contour line off the flats. But the first fish in the video still came out of the flats. I was between a sparse tule grove and the shoreline. I casted out just beyond the tule line and the fish hit in the middle of the sparse tules.

But agree, I'm sure the big gals are just outside of the flats. I just couldn't catch em.
Last edited by ElGuapo on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I couldn't either, but he sure can!
CLEAN AND DRY
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Couple of more shots from last week... some from the storm, and some from blue skies the next two days.

Even the stripers wanted in on the action. What a blast. 11 on the day after the storm. My last day I only got three, two 5's and a 4, as I had to get out early for the drive back to San Diego. Down here I'm now on topwater, as the water is at 67-68 now.

Get out while the gettin's good.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Rub it in with pics. Those are some nice fish. Looks like I will be throwing a white chatterbait next time.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Whoopbass wrote:Rub it in with pics. Those are some nice fish. Looks like I will be throwing a white chatterbait next time.
+1!!!!!
:D