Maxxum vs Fortrex

BigWorm

Maxxum vs Fortrex

Post by BigWorm »

There are not many current reviews out there comparing these two motors. Some of the older reviews for the Fortrex list a few issues within the mount. Im going to upgrade to an 80lb thrust Minn Kota for a 19' skeeter. When stowed how much higher does the Fortrex sit than a maxxum above the deck of the boat? Im afraid my cover wont fit with a Fortrex and I might not be able to see much to the left side since you sit rather low in the boat.
Besides the lift assist are there any advantages/disadvantages to either? Both power through heavy weeds just fine? Ive heard the motors themselves are essentially the same. I was in a big phoenix with a 112 Fortrex and it was amazingly smooth and quiet when turning and using the motor on mid/high power. Maxxum act the same?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
scottsweet

Re: Maxxum vs Fortrex

Post by scottsweet »

I have had both motors. The Fortrex has a few of major advantages:

1. Mount is much stronger and easier to lift. The strength of the mount when stowed is far more secure than the Maxxum mount. On the Maxxum mount, the motor head is able to slop around and a small Y shaped plastic part (yoke) is the only thing that is preventing lateral movement of the shaft when stowed. The yoke is prone to breaking as it weathers. In rough water, using a Trol-Lock on the Fortrex will 100% secure the trolling motor with no flopping around.

2. The Maxxum mount uses pressure fitted pins as pivot points. These pins wear out over time. The knurls will wear out the holes and the pins will not stay properly installed.

3. The entire motor can be easily removed from the mount with a single hex bolt for servicing if required. If you need to repair the mount for any reason, it is very easy to remove the shaft/motor with this single bolt. If you need to remove the motor for repair, you don't need to remove the entire mount.

I hope this helps in your decision.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com