Here is the reason for wind, Tom Gronwall

Larry Hemphill

Here is the reason for wind, Tom Gronwall

Post by Larry Hemphill »

The wind you are talking about is called "downslope wind" - which happen nearly every night in the Sierra foothills. If the evening/night is cloudy, there is usually no wind. On clear late spring/summer nights, the warm (hot) air from the valley rises which leaves a vacuum that is filled by cooler air from the mountains, which flows west - downslope - filling in the vacuum. I have fished most of the northern foothill lakes forever and the wind condition is the same almost every evening. As soon as dusk settles in, the breezes settle in from east to west, especially in canyons. Oroville, Collins, Folsom, Bullards Bar, Pardee, Amador, Don Pedro - you name it - it is the same pattern. As soon as the sun comes up, usually 2 hours after first light, the breezes quickly die down, and your typical hot summer day is about to begin. When evening comes, the whole process begins again. Sometimes, like under the Bidwell bridge at Lake Oroville, the winds become compressed and the lake can become very rough! One time, launching at the Bidwell ramp on a July morning, the lake had near 2 foot swells rolling in. My client said "what does this mean?" I said: "didn't I tell you, there is a big storm out there, but it will pass quickly!" I told him I was kidding, as we headed out. Within an hour, the lake was dead calm - and soon we were looking for shade! Hope this helps you understand that "morning wind."
mark poulson

Re: Here is the reason for wind, Tom Gronwall

Post by mark poulson »

Larry Hemphill wrote:The wind you are talking about is called "downslope wind" - which happen nearly every night in the Sierra foothills. If the evening/night is cloudy, there is usually no wind. On clear late spring/summer nights, the warm (hot) air from the valley rises which leaves a vacuum that is filled by cooler air from the mountains, which flows west - downslope - filling in the vacuum. I have fished most of the northern foothill lakes forever and the wind condition is the same almost every evening. As soon as dusk settles in, the breezes settle in from east to west, especially in canyons. Oroville, Collins, Folsom, Bullards Bar, Pardee, Amador, Don Pedro - you name it - it is the same pattern. As soon as the sun comes up, usually 2 hours after first light, the breezes quickly die down, and your typical hot summer day is about to begin. When evening comes, the whole process begins again. Sometimes, like under the Bidwell bridge at Lake Oroville, the winds become compressed and the lake can become very rough! One time, launching at the Bidwell ramp on a July morning, the lake had near 2 foot swells rolling in. My client said "what does this mean?" I said: "didn't I tell you, there is a big storm out there, but it will pass quickly!" I told him I was kidding, as we headed out. Within an hour, the lake was dead calm - and soon we were looking for shade! Hope this helps you understand that "morning wind."
Great explanation!!!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robber65

Post by Robber65 »

Sound like a school teacher Larry (lol) good explanation
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Except for the Delta when I am fishing..... then it blows 15+ from first light to dark :lol:
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Yes, that's true, but mostly in the summer. That wind is from the coastal weather patterns that we see so much in the San Francisco/Oakland area, down to the delta. That wind is "Nature's" air conditioner that we see in summer "cold fronts" We also see it during summer afternoons at Clear Lake. I was at the delta a few weeks ago - no wind most of the day. When are some of the most beautiful days on the delta (wind free)? March/April/early May and Sept/Oct. There used to be a running joke as to the most beautiful day at Candlestick Park (former summer home of the SF Giants). What was that day you ask - the last day of the season - Sept 30th! I landed at SFO airport a few years ago in Mid October. I nearly died in front of the airport waiting for a taxi around 3 pm. It was 91 degrees!! One more example - I once left San Francisco on a late August afternoon and arrived at home in Yuba City. You would expect a little difference in temperature - right? That's right - SF 58 degrees, Yuba City - 108 degrees.
Tom Gronwall

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Thanks Larry, thought it was something like that, still wish it would go away:>) Those couple hours with the wind can be brutal at times. No choice, tough it out and FISH :>) If anyone knew, it had to be you.
scott h

Post by scott h »

Freefall wrote:Except for the Delta when I am fishing..... then it blows 15+ from first light to dark :lol:
From April to September! Lol
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(