How is the Fishing at Collins Lake

jmorris32

How is the Fishing at Collins Lake

Post by jmorris32 »

Hey Everyone,

Im planning a camping trip for the weekend and I came across Collins Lake in Yuba County. They great fishing yet I have never herd of the lake despite growing up about an hour from the lake. Has anyone had any experiences fishing/camping at this lake. If so, what type of fish did you catch and what did you use to catch them. I am looking for a place that is easy to catch fish because I am introducing my girlfriend to fishing on this trip and I want to get her hooked(no pun intended).

Thanks for your help everyone!
gixxer464

Re: How is the Fishing at Collins Lake

Post by gixxer464 »

I tent camped at Collins lake for 3 days last year for 4th of July. Great camp grounds, facilities and staff. I shore fished for bass in the early mornings. I did pretty good on dropshot robo worms. As it got warmer durning the day the bass bite died until later in the evening. My wife and I also caught lots of bluegills on nightcrawlers.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Try to avoid the dam and fish the opposite shore of the campgrounds. smaller swimbaits, cranks, jigs,dropshot during the day and top water prop baits in the evening, do not be afraid to the throw the 90 whopper plopper during the day as well for a bigger bite even the 130, stick to a natural shad colors and HOLD ONTO TO YOUR ROD!
-DDG
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I would suggest your start as early in the day as you can. Collins is not a big lake, but has big bass. The main body usually holds the biggest bass. Stay in the shadows as long as you can. Dropping Senkos next to submerged trees seems to always work. If you can find bait - try spooning! My biggest there is 12 3/4 lbs - so, they can get big at Collins! Good luck!!
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Love to camp at Collins. Been going there at least 15+ years. Matter of fact we were there last weekend and will be back there in two weeks for a week. The staff is very helpful and responsive.

Personally, since my kids are older I don't have to go to the sandy beach, but it is a nice beach for a lake. You can rent aluminum boats with motor, kayaks, SUPs, and I think they still have peddle boats.

Fishing in the summer can be a bit more challenging there. The lake does have a good population of spotted bass, bluegill, crappie and catfish for your summer fishing. I spent the weekend dragging kids around on a tube so I don't have first hand knowledge. Did speak to some guys that had some luck with a whopper plopper and white crappie jigs (hair) for spots during the late morning.

Not sure if you have a boat or not, but I know a lot of people where having a lot of luck catching crappie and bluegill from the marina for boat owners (don't know about the rental marina further south). As you walk onto the dock fish the first leg on the right for crappie and bluegill. Guys were catching crappie 8-10 feet deep with jigs. Bluegill with worms. This might be a good introduction for someone new to fishing. If its too hot, go out on the dock at night.

The guys I spoke to had some luck in the small cove north of the main marina for bass. If you have a boat the far side of the lake is much less pressured.

When I was there in early June I couldn't keep the 10" spots off my topwater. Had to stop throwing the whopper plopper because the 10" would get the big trebles stuck in their mouth. Managed some 2# spots between the dinks once I started throwing flukes and swimming Senkos on the surface. As expected that bite has passed, but the fish are still there. Try drop shotting some small baits.

If you want to throw live bait buy some crawdads or catch your own. There are some regulars that catch a lot of bass year round on live craws.

Go up in the winter/spring and they plant a lot of trout.

If you haven't checked their website, be prepared it is expensive to camp there when compared elsewhere. For me its worth it. They work hard to keep the place clean and in good repair. The playground is well maintained which was really important when my kids were younger.

Collins Lake also doesn't allow PWC. You can water ski, wakeboard and tow tubes. Just no jet ski/PWC.

Enjoy your trip!