Bouncing fish

machadobass

Bouncing fish

Post by machadobass »

Just got through watching a video that was on this site. I really have a problem with people bouncing bass on hot carpets especially when just fun fishing. There is absolutely no reason for this. They make nets that are fish friendly now. It may look cool to bounce these fish but you are doing major damage to that fish. I am certainly not perfect but I do try to take care of our resource the best I can. I am not trying to offend but maybe to educate.
mark poulson

Re: Bouncing fish

Post by mark poulson »

I agree with you, but I do it sometimes.
We are all aware of the need to protect our resource. Here are some easy ways I have found to do it:
I typically swing fish when I'm fishing a spinner bait, because a lot of the time the hook is just snagged against something hard inside the fish's mouth, and hasn't really penetrated. I need to keep them coming and swing them right into the boat in order to keep my rod loaded, so the bait won't come out.
So I swing them into the boat, and grab the line to keep them off the carpet, if I can.
If it's a good fish, and I see it's well hooked, I'll net it, but sometimes I can't, and at those times I will swing them into the boat, and use my fish-friendly net as a landing pad to protect them from the carpet.
I also have a microfiber (yellow) towel in my TM tray that I wet, and spread out on my deck to give me another fish-friendly landing spot.
If it's a big fish and I have to swing it, I am guilty of swinging it into the lower section of my boat, in front of the seats, because I don't want to lose it. Those fish I put in the livewell with some Rejuvenade while I get my camera and scale ready. Two minutes in the livewell max, and then they're back in the water.
Lastly, since our carpet is water proof, we could all just wet a section of it when we first launch, and keep that spot wet all day, so we have a safer landing spot. It isn't any worse for the carpet than the slime from the fish that comes off on dry carpet, and it's a whole lot better for the fish.
Boats and their carpets are just tools we use to catch fish. They aren't untouchable.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I flip occasionally but most of those never touch the mat. I lip my bigger fish, I'm old school that way.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

I'm not talking about swinging fish into the boat. I am talking about bouncing them out of the water into the bottom of the boat. Like I said if you're not fishing tournaments there is absolutely no reason to do it that way. Boat carpeting is very hard on fish. I generally don't even have a net in the boat. I lift and grab line or lip all my fish. I also use a Boga grip on the bigger fish .
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

If I'm just out fishing. I don't see the need for the fish to come into the boat, I shake most off unless I think they need to rest before release. In my little boat I can leave in the water while I unhook. The bass boat requires I lift them out but I think I have gotten better with fish as I have gotten older
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

machadobass wrote:I'm not talking about swinging fish into the boat. I am talking about bouncing them out of the water into the bottom of the boat. Like I said if you're not fishing tournaments there is absolutely no reason to do it that way. Boat carpeting is very hard on fish. I generally don't even have a net in the boat. I lift and grab line or lip all my fish. I also use a Boga grip on the bigger fish .
We all fish for different reasons, but we all share the love of fishing.
When I fish a senko or an Ika, where the fish, many times, swallow the bait and wind up gut hooked, I look for the hook when I bring a fish to the boat, and, if I don't see it, I reach down and lip the fish, or net it, so I don't hurt it's insides.
Not having a net is a personal choice, but I think it helps me take better care of the fish.
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Machadobass ,
I could not agree with you more . Been bass fishing 40+ years and I always spend extra time to make sure any bass I catch makes back into the water as unharmed as possible . I always felt that if I did that , I just might catch that fish again in 5 or 10 years and most likely , much bigger . If I am drop shotting deep water ( 30-50 feet ) , I try to make sure and bring up the bass slowly , let their swimbladder adjust while coming up ---less fizzing .
I also made a special wood tool for when I am catching them on Crigs . It seems that most of my Crig fish end up with the hook deeper in the throat and making it really hard to remove a 2/0 hook without pulling up some of the stomach .
It's a simple piece of wood , 12" long , specifically grooved/slotted for the line and hook , push down past the hook and out comes everything with way less harm to the bass .
Bouncing bass of the bottom of the boat is just plain lazy and stupid .
tight lines ,
Robb
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Robb R wrote:Machadobass ,
I could not agree with you more . Been bass fishing 40+ years and I always spend extra time to make sure any bass I catch makes back into the water as unharmed as possible . I always felt that if I did that , I just might catch that fish again in 5 or 10 years and most likely , much bigger . If I am drop shotting deep water ( 30-50 feet ) , I try to make sure and bring up the bass slowly , let their swimbladder adjust while coming up ---less fizzing .
I also made a special wood tool for when I am catching them on Crigs . It seems that most of my Crig fish end up with the hook deeper in the throat and making it really hard to remove a 2/0 hook without pulling up some of the stomach .
It's a simple piece of wood , 12" long , specifically grooved/slotted for the line and hook , push down past the hook and out comes everything with way less harm to the bass .
Bouncing bass of the bottom of the boat is just plain lazy and stupid .
tight lines ,
Robb
Robb,
Years ago I used a red plastic hook remover like this:
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/hook-sharp ... 19174.aspx
I forgot all about it until you mentioned your tool.
CLEAN AND DRY