Castaic Advice?

callwakeup

Castaic Advice?

Post by callwakeup »

i haven't fished castaic all that much - but have gone out a few times this month. throwing a lot of top water, cranks, and jerkbaits. but following up with jig when i find life.
beating up all the banks, but only finding life on the main lake points, and main lake rock walls. and the only fish im finding are these aggressive little buggers who love eating baits that are bigger than they are.
id appreciate anyone willing to answer my question... are the bigger fish usually found around all those little ones; just deeper? or am i fishin wrong spots?
thnx
Kelly Ripa

Re: Castaic Advice?

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I would think the fish are much deeper than you are fishing. I am currently on a bite a Casitas in 40 feet. What are your electronics telling you?
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

I found a school of those 8 to 10 inchers last week. They were in the 20 to 30 ft. range. My son went with me and he was able to catch at least 15 or so I lost count for myself. We had fun though. This week I will go deeper or go for the suspended ones since I will be solo. Forget the banks it's not worth it.
Good luck!!
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

i appreciate your replies. ill be back this Friday (baring rain) to give it a deeper shot.
"What are your electronics telling you?"
-Still learning how to read them.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Castaic has been on the rise for months and finally stopped putting water in a few weeks ago. The normal seasonal patterns haven't developed and the lake is full of small bait and small bass. What is odd is some of the better size 3 to 5 lb bass are with stripers about the same size working the bait. If you down size and match the bait, then the 10" to 12" bass are all over it. The lake should be stabilizing and a thermocline may develop, that will helps to determine what depth to target, but with the colder nights that may not occur.
Last time I was at Castiac the mid day bite was about 20- 25' on oxblood worms, spoons and lipless cranks earlier.
Tom
PS; pray for rain, Castaic is very good in the rain.