How you layer for rain AND cold?

fishbonz412

How you layer for rain AND cold?

Post by fishbonz412 »

Hello All. Merry Xmas, Happy Hannakah, etc.

How do you layer when you are going fishing in heavy rain, and for the cold?

I fished recently in this kind of weather in a lake at elevation. I layered thermal underwear, top and bottom, wool socks, polar fleece vest, polar fleece long sleeve jacket, polar fleece pants, then rain gear, bibs and jacket. Add polar fleece gloves. Since the bib is a little short, I also put gaiters over the top of boots in hopes of shedding water over boots. I have found several flaws in my plan. First of all, my bib and rain jacket were not up to snuff, being older, so they leaked despite being gore-tex and recent treatment with Scotchgard. Another is that perhaps I was overdressed, comfortably warm, so then sweat that does not evaporate away merely condenses on the layer next to the skin (the thermal underwear). The bigger thing I saw was that my gloves get wet, but because it overlaps with the thermal underwear, the latter wicks the water from the gloves until eventually the entire top is wet. this can also wick to the thermal bottoms, which overlap the top,until it is all wet. I also believe the gaiters were not waterproof, so when they got wet, then wick to the underlying polar fleece pants, then the socks got wet, until I was sloshing in my boots. another issue is when you hold your rod, especially when fighting a fish, your wrists are above your elbows, so now water runs down into your jacket to your elbows, also getting the polar fleece and thermal shirt wet. By the end of the day, 7 hours later, The layers closest to my skin were soaked, and I was very cold.

I see the need for at least the following. Extra long waterproof bib and jacket (perhaps parka is better due to extra length). I am contemplating forgoing a long polarfleece jacket since it seems water down the sleeve (when wrist is above elbow) is inevitable. Then no clothing gets wet, and that moisture can evaporate away based on body heat. (I should note that some I spoke some to who had the neoprene sleevesand still had water leakage.) I have heard that neoprene cuffs are the way to go, or at least, the best option out there, to keep water from getting past the wrists....

Any thoughts? Especially if you have had good success keeping water from going up your sleeves. Extra snug wrap around that neoprene cuff? Thanks in advance.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
mark poulson

Re: How you layer for rain AND cold?

Post by mark poulson »

A really good test of waterproof is to sit on a wet seat for five minutes. If you gear will leak, you'll find out pretty quickly, and it's better to find out at home than on the lake.
Don't ask me how I know! :evil:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There's lots of great rain gear no doubt. I've been wearing Simms and it's not the cheapest but you don't get wet either. It's also very lightweight and "moveable ". It doesn't restrict movement for casting or hooksets. I hate most bibs because the pull on my shoulders makes them ache. I have none of this with Simms.

Dobyns now co-brands with Simms so if anyone would like to see these products check out the store on Dobynsrods.com
ILW

Post by ILW »

I had a BPS 100 mph bibs and coat set for several years. The zipper on the coat broke right away but they wouldnt let me return it because I had worn it so I made do because it cost a couple hundred dollars and just kept pulling it over my head like a sweatshirt instead of a zipup coat. I bought another one and the same exact thing happened to the zipper so I dont know if I just have had bad luck withthem or not. That wasn't really your questions but I had to get that out there before i answered because my experience with staying dry has been fair, better when it was newer not so much after a while. I even tried some water repellant spray but that didn't work well. I gueessed I was being too cheap decided to get a new suit this year. Still shopping because I am not going to go through the zipper thing for a third time even if the chances of it happening are low. A main thing that I am looking for is the velcro being good on the wrists. Thats important to me because if the neoprene sleeve sticks out even a little bit the water wicks up to my elbows pretty quick and im soaked from the inside out. which never makes for a good time.
ILW

Post by ILW »

Oh yah Gary, I do have a lightweight Simms coat but its more for light rain and not so much for true foul weather gear but I do wear it over my work clothes a lot when I am out in the rain. It is a very good light weight coat for the rain.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Just incase anyone is thinking of saving a few $$ I suggest not with your rain gear. For last season I had a new frabill jacket(not 100% dry but does work pretty well) and just wore carhartt bibs. BIG MISTAKE i made due, however I was miserable at some points and I was drying my gear out every night after every event in the rain. At an event at lake shasta there was a point where I was so wet and cold I was having trouble re tying. Just putting it out there for any young angler fishin as a co thats looking to cut cost, cause your rain and winter gear/clothing is not where you wanna do that, it can have a severe effect on your performance.
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

a tip somebody gave me long time ago to keep your feet dry unless you have high dollar shoes. Wear wool socks and use a plastic bag like the kind over the veg stands. Put that over your socks and that will keep your feet dry if your socks get wet and help more if you tape the bag tight around your ankle will keep water from soaking your socks. That plastic will keep your feet warmer.
Haven't tried it yet as i'm lucky enough or don't have to fish in the rain.
Trace

Post by Trace »

What works for me is never wear anything with cotton if it might rain. Fleece gets wet,but not too cold. Try neoprene muck type boots.
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Thanks for all the responses.

In alaska, most (nearly all) of the guides/outfits up there downplay the effectiveness of gore-tex. So I'll ask....anyone out there use the PVC rain gear, like the Helly Hansen or Grundens? yes, I know they don't "breathe" so you may be soaking in your own sweat, but that is what layering is all about. Also, once the outside nylon is wet, how much Breathing does it really do? I suspect that once wet, not much evaporates through, but probably condenses due to the temperature differential between outside and inside, especially closer to the outside layers. Also, it's not like you are running laps out there.....is "breathable" over rated?
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
medfish

Post by medfish »

From shooting ducks to fishing in the rain, I have always hated water wicking down or up my arms. Best solution I came up with is duct tape. I first start with tape directly to skin. Then tape end of water proof coat "frog toggs" type to duct wrist bands. Put outer shell over so if you need to take off or on during the day. Yes will remove hair and may need lotion But arms stay dry. And yes wife will think your dumb when you leave the house with duct tape wrist bands
basshol

Post by basshol »

Bags over your socks. Plus some good quality latex gloves under you gloves.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I tried the plastic bags on my feet one time fishing in the snow and not letting my feet breath gave me a mild case of frostbite. After my 1st time with cheap raingear bass fishing, I invested in Sorel boots, 8" with wool liners. I bought some real thick socks at BPS and never had cold or wet feet again. They are 15 years old and just now looking to get replaced with the same.
I bought Cabelas Guidewear and that lasted me about 8 years before I treated it with Scotchguard, but you really need to treat it twice as the first time isn't good enough. I bought my second set 2 years ago on sale after season and use it when it's really raining and use the old for just warmth and no to light rain.
I was told before I bought my 1st set to get insulated bib and non-insulated tops as it's easier to layer the top and remove when it gets warm- best advice.
Garrett Charter

Post by Garrett Charter »

+1 on GOOD latex gloves, I wear them under the tacky lightweight garden gloves. Also the lower back heat wraps help keep your core warm without having to wear a ton of clothes.
Garrett Charter
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

In a pinch, if it's real wet, breathable waders are not a bad option. Then you just need a good jacket.
basshol

Post by basshol »

Sometimes I put on my pants my Gore-Tex Pants and my underwear on the outside