Clear Lake Jig colors

Darth Baiter

Clear Lake Jig colors

Post by Darth Baiter »

Planning on going to Clear Lake in March or April, and throw some jigs , mostly swim jigs. What are some colors or color/trailer combos that work up there? Trying to pick up a few more colors and trailers. Thanks!!
clearlakeoutdoors

Re: Clear Lake Jig colors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

It has a lot to do with water color and where you are fishing.If we keep getting rain the creek areas will be dirty.Mid lake never gets muddy.
Swim jigs i would stick with shad colors. Keitech on the back
football or flip jigs
Dirty water black or black and blue
clearer water brown and orange or brown and purple (best selling colors)
420 size beaver on the back works for me
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Brown 3/8 - 1/2 oz with 420 beaver
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
chubasco2

Post by chubasco2 »

Dan I'm heading up the day after xmas. I saw your post talking about some fish eating the glides. I've fished the lake a few times and had good results just never tried it in the winter. Im coming prepared with Hudds, Thumpers, Jigs, Underspins, and yes we'll toss some minnows after driving 10 hours lol. I see you speak of glide bait fish, care to elaborate
Darth Baiter

Post by Darth Baiter »

Thanks guys!!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Spend more time trying to learn where to fish your jigs then what color the majority of anglers are using. Contrast is always a good idea followed by fall rate then profile. The jig must be presented close to the bass you want to catch, then look like something the bass wants to eat. You can't go wrong with black/purple/brown anywhere anytime.
Tom
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Brown/purple is often a great choice. Since I like purple so much, I will often fish a black/blue/purple jig - especially in colder water. Rodstrainer Tackle has made many, many jigs for me in that color trio! A good winter color, especially in low light conditions, is black/chartreuse. And that is my main weapon at night - 12 months of the year!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

chubasco2 wrote:Dan I'm heading up the day after xmas. I saw your post talking about some fish eating the glides. I've fished the lake a few times and had good results just never tried it in the winter. Im coming prepared with Hudds, Thumpers, Jigs, Underspins, and yes we'll toss some minnows after driving 10 hours lol. I see you speak of glide bait fish, care to elaborate
https://www.tacticalbassin.com/blog/gli ... he-s-waver
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Darth Baiter

Post by Darth Baiter »

Some great information, especially from a legend I used to follow closely like Larry Hemphill!! Appreciate it very much guys!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Did somebody say jig colors :D for clear lake Custom color skirts and matching custom powder coated head I know somebody that can build them. Oh wait there also handtied.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

sorry guys I've been swamped with no time to play on the computer/phone. I use custom swim jigs
made by Ladies Man Custom Baits. You can find him on Facebook or call him @ 949 735-2943
tell him I sent you and he can set you up with the colors we use here, and they are extremely
reasonable in price. He also ties custom football and Arkie heads for me as well.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Brown / Purple and Brown / Green Pumpkin.....I always hear Black / Blue, and I've done really good on Black / Blue Brush Hogs, never tried a jig in that color.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

And many bass thank you for that - LOL!!!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Some of the colors I build for clear lake are
Ne-714 deep brown / Ne 717 watermelon seed
Ne714 deep brown / Ne 718 green pumpkin
Matched with two staged fired powdercoated med green pumpkin / black & blue flake Arkie head jigs and added choices are 3 custom sizes of fiberguards 8, 11, 24 fibers
Also
Sg180 brown/ black flake / Sg 196 fishunter green/red/black
Sg 180 brown/ black / 197 fishunter
Sg 180 brown/ black / 507watermelon/green/ purple
Matching 3 staged powdercoated dark pumpkin green/black/med brown Arkie head jigs with same fiber guards as above jigs all hand-tied jigs
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Crawdads get their green color from the plants they eat. If you have live grass, having some green works.
If not, dark colors work, because the crawdads lose their green colors in the winter when there's no more live grass to eat.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Crawdads coloration is often dependant on the predominate colors of their environmemt, they change to be camouflaged. When the crawdads molt they loose shell pigments and look greenish brown until the shell hardens.
Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I fished with live crawdads we dyed them putting food coloring in the container water so they contrasted with the other live crawdads in the lake with good success. Crawdads dyed blue for example out fished the native brownish red craws. Sometime contrast works better than matching the hatch.
I came up with a tri black-purple-brown hair jigs back in '71 and caught giant bass everywhere in So Cal and lots of bass all over the country with that color combo and why I call it anywhere anytime!
Tom