Squaw fish; Do bass eat them? anyone know the facts on that fish

DDG

Squaw fish; Do bass eat them? anyone know the facts on that fish

Post by DDG »

Ive been very curious throughout the years about Sacramento Pike, Squaw fish, I know they eat anything in their path and they are an aggressive predator, iv'e been told by some that bass dont usually eat them and they they spread disease and are even bad for humans to consume. I dont know if I buy into any of that so I wanted to hear others take on this.
-DDG
WRB

Re: Squaw fish; Do bass eat them? anyone know the facts on that fish

Post by WRB »

This help to hit home how crazy our CDFW is, Sacramento Pikeminnow i.e. Squawfish are native game fish, therefor protected from eradication whereas Largemouth, Smallmouth, Stripe bass, bluegill, crappie and catfish are non-native fish and subject to eradication in the Delta area.
Now back yo your question, baby and young of the year Squawfish could be forage for any predator fish where they share the same waterway. Adult and young of the year Squawfish being the minnow family are also egg eaters and eat smaller game fish species.
The isn't a limit on Sacramento Pikemonnows, can be taken using any sporting means, can't be discarded and left to die. Being a gamefish they must be editable, have no idea if they are good to eat.
Tom
Spanky211

Post by Spanky211 »

Oh hell yes they get smoked by Basses!

And any trophy striper hunter on this river system will tell you there is nothing better than a split tail /Sacramento pike when there soaking live bait. It catches the Giants!

My 0.02
Merry xmas
Travis Tate.
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

On The Columbia river ,on the Oregon/ Washington boarder, there is a bounty paid on dead squaw fish/pike minnows as part of a program to protect endangered salmon fry as they migrate thru the series of dams used to create power on the river. This program is funded by the Bonneville Power Co. They are more of a threat on predation of salmon than other game fish so when the state of California eradicates all the gamefish that do eat the squaw fish how will they control the squaw fish.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Alot of good insight, glad i posted that question.
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Hey guy's, they are a very aggressive eater for sure, and I can only guess bass eat the young. I've caught them on blades and spoons with my largest at Oroville being close to 8lbs on main lake points. Folsom with spoons can be insane on every drop if they are feeding. Sometimes way up the north fork in 50' and outta Browns in the flats at 20'. I just watch for the big arches on the graph and drop a Blade Runner 1oz. The bass, and Salmon are right in with them. Lot o fun.