Clear Lake Ramp Update Feb 8 and Mussel sticker INCREASE notice!

DanIsaac

Clear Lake Ramp Update Feb 8 and Mussel sticker INCREASE notice!

Post by DanIsaac »

Effective immediately the Red Bud Ramps is now CLOSED due to high water and the docks are in the process of being removed.

Also, I was just informed and have confirmed that effective Monday 2/13/17 the County has decided to
DOUBLE the Mussel Sticker from $10 to $20 a month!

Despite a large grant from the State to hire "ramp monitors" and other things, the County has apparently ran the program to the degree that it was $90,000+ in the RED last year!

Don't be mis-lead either, you'll hear all kinds of excuses, from there is no launch fees here, to it's still cheaper than SoCal, etc etc etc. Bottom line it's just a bunch of hooie in my personal opinion! UNBELIEVABLE, chase people away!

Oh, and I was even asked not to report this as the Lake needs no more negative press! Really? SORRY, people need to know, and people need to call Lake Bed Management!

To my knowledge there was NO input taken and from what I have learned NO NOTICE given until today! Businesses around the lake do see income from the program to the tune of $7 per sticker, but none that I spoke with today were in favor of this in any way, so SPIN AWAY Lake COUNTY! SPIN AWAY!
Resized_20170208_133008.jpeg
Last edited by DanIsaac on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
kam

Re: Clear Lake Ramp Update and Mussel INCREASE notice!

Post by kam »

Leave it to this county to shoot themselves in the foot! :roll:
I'll never forget the time the building department lost my home building plans costing me thousands in interest on a 12 percent construction loan!
Whoopbass

Re: Clear Lake Ramp Update and Mussel INCREASE notice!

Post by Whoopbass »

Leave it to some type of state program to be in the hole $90K when from what I can tell it costs nothing to operate the program except for the cost of the stickers.

So do all businesses get a cut or just the ones that actually do the inspections?
DanIsaac

Re: Clear Lake Ramp Update and Mussel sticker INCREASE notice!

Post by DanIsaac »

Yes, all retailers of the stickers are compensated for their time and administration of the sales.

That said, PLEASE do not blame or chew on any retailer as they had nothing to do with this. They found out just like the rest of us, AFTER the FACT!

This county basically wants nothing to do with the fishing community or will they help assist the fishing community.
If they had it their way they'd be rid of us all, and just go about promoting more VINEYARDS!

They spray and spray and spray, and spray some more, and every year it worsens. Now this?

IMHO this really is a BIG F U to the fishing community, 8-9 months out of each year, we (fisherman) account for the bulk of these sticker sales, and they could care less if they tick any of us off because we never say a word as a community.
No surprise this happens and trust me, it will happen again, as soon as they feel they can get away with it again!

That's it, I'm done, back to my bench!!! Someone else take over please, this makes me sick!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Whoopbass

Re: Clear Lake Ramp Update and Mussel sticker INCREASE notice!

Post by Whoopbass »

I'm happy to see the tackle shops get some of it.
Sounds like the locals that fish the lake need to form some type of organization so their voice can be heard. We're fighting nuts down here and your fighting grapes. We keep getting the shaft from all these fruits and nuts we elect. I'm tired of it too.
MGJR

Re: Clear Lake Ramp Update Feb 8 and Mussel sticker INCREASE notice!

Post by MGJR »

They will lose more money in tax revenue if fewer guys come stay and fish. Just hurting their own economy. They will never be Napa County. Embrace the resources you have - this would not happen in most states, especially ones with world renowned fisheries.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I am doing something that I should have done a long time ago !... I have a place there ' that my buddy & I have been leasing for the last 3 years" I am changing my vessel registration to Lake Co. !... I hope it will then cost me $20 a year after that ?.....
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Change you're car registration as well since there's no smog check up there.
Tostrand

Post by Tostrand »

Lets face it the county could use the money and plus i dont hear anyone complain when you pay 23 bucks to launch at berryessa

Plus the ramps at clearlake are pretty well taken care of and we have great launch facilities to use around this lake
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

Reminds me of being there a couple years ago with a guide and some lady screaming at us for fishing in front of her house. Cursing left and right. What amazed me was here I was, paying over $1000 for two days of fishing, filled up my truck both days $50-$60, spent $40-$50 each day at Safeway, had lunch both days before I left and stayed in a hotel. Not a bad take for the people of that city just on one person. If not for fishing and the bass potential of that lake, that money doesn't see their county at all.

The irony.
Last edited by AnglersPursuit on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Tostrand wrote:Lets face it the county could use the money and plus i dont hear anyone complain when you pay 23 bucks to launch at berryessa

Plus the ramps at clearlake are pretty well taken care of and we have great launch facilities to use around this lake
Thats just plain BS no other way to put it!
Its not about the money, and any ramp (1)
at Berryessa built and paid for with "taxpayer" dollars like ALL public launches at Clear Lake by the way, are FREE to launch. Private ramps around Lake Berryessa charge as do private launches around Clear Lake...this county cannot legally charge a launch fee unless they give that money back to the State. This in my opinion
was their way around it....it does nothing to prevent the introduction of invasive species into the lake......now Im done for sure;)

sparky979

Post by sparky979 »

You are pretty full of yourself Dan. You can't even launch at Shasta for free any more, you obviously know more about it than everyone maybe you could share some of the free launch sites on all the other lakes and help us save a buck. If it is such a ripoff I think everybody should boycott the lake this year. At least during the spring.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Sparky, Sounds like Dan has an issue with it because the County has squandered the mussel fee's and are deep in the red. Also the mussel program is pretty much a joke since it appears you can't stop it. Now they want more money mostly from fishermen yet they don't do anything for us. There's a lot more to it but it would just be more griping about the politics of this state and that is a lost cause.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Hey Guys,

The grants are listed on the Division of Boating and Waterways for the state of CA. Jay Poore was instrumental in finding this information.

Agency Contact Grant Status Location Project Description
Lake County Watershed Protection District Scott De Leon scott.deleon@lakecountyca.gov (707)263-2344 Open
Clear Lake
Implementation/Construction
Lake County Watershed Protection District Scott De Leon
scott.deleon@lakecountyca.gov
(707)263-2344 Open
Clear Lake
Implementation/Construction

The website shows two grants being in "Open Status" for Clear lake, one being fully funded or spent already to the tune of $171,140.51. The second grant totals 127,668.69 and has been partially funded or spent to the tune of $45,568.69. http://www.dbw.ca.gov/?page_id=28822

Go to the link http://www.dbw.ca.gov/pages/28702/files ... ummary.pdf

to see what they applied for and received. Look at the notes to the right. For the grant that has been spent, Management requested over $96.00 per hour. Really......REALLY???!!!!

For the second grant They tried to buy a "work skiff" but were denied. WTF. The grant stipulates the money was applied for and to be used for the following, right off the web site.
"The project will enhance the reservoir's current prevention program by increasing personnel for boat monitoring and by purchasing two decontamination units and outreach materials."

Now look at the notes to the right that the Conditions and/or Rationale:

"Fully fund with conditions - Reevaluate hourly management wages which is considered to be excessive at $96.69 per/hr. Demonstrate the use of the California Natural Resources Agency's Guidebooks for Recreation Water Managers and Users, and other plans. The Narrative was absent the funding which explains the progress that has been made during the previous "grant cycle".

Did they build or are two decontamination units being built right now? Hold them accountable for the money. It's your money and it's our job collectively to do this. F 'em. That means FIGHT THEM boys. Ask the tough questions. Someone at each lake has to. You're asking because you genuinely care and have a right to know!
Confront without being confrontational. But get the answers. We have to do this guys.

Mike Reese
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

Grants are often filtered through multiple channels and the money's finally available for any meaningful programs is minimal. Note: the $96/hr is a loaded rate, not hourly wage. Regardless: just ways to tax, tax, tax. Typical bureaucratic solution.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

MGJR wrote:Grants are often filtered through multiple channels and the money's finally available for any meaningful programs is minimal. Note: the $96/hr is a loaded rate, not hourly wage. Regardless: just ways to tax, tax, tax. Typical bureaucratic solution.
"Filtered" must be another word for siphoned off or stolen and used for other needs they can't fund, like a "work skiff"? Lake Perris applied for a new Patrol Boat and were denied. How was that going to help control the mussel? At least someone at the division has some sense.

Mike
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

:idea:
Last edited by Ben520 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

:idea:
Last edited by Ben520 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamm777

Post by Kamm777 »

Soooooooooo, I left the Pro-Am tournaments back in 2000 and I've been out of the loop since.
Here I am logging in for the first time in years and wondering what a muscle sticker even is?
Now that my kid has grown I'm excited about getting another Basscat and hitting the circuit again. It seems there are some "new rules" I need to be aware of??? Holy crap!
See you on the water next year.
Lance Kammerer
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

sparky979 wrote:You are pretty full of yourself Dan. You can't even launch at Shasta for free any more, you obviously know more about it than everyone maybe you could share some of the free launch sites on all the other lakes and help us save a buck. If it is such a ripoff I think everybody should boycott the lake this year. At least during the spring.
Please read carefully what I wrote again. The previous poster to that was comparing Lake Berryessa ramps fees to Clear Lake being free
to launch....Clear Lakes ramps are "free" for a reason, as is the free launch at Berryessa.

Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

:D
Last edited by Ben520 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

By filtered I mean NGO and non-profits operate with huge overhead - and often, grant money will be awarded but go through 1 or 2 foundations or groups who "administer" the grants. Usually a lot of wasteful overhead. Often a lot of feel good jobs with no accountability and don't really result in anything meaningful. I've seen it for years in watershed groups around nor-cal.

Mussels are a serious threat-so we should be on the side advocating for protection; however, not money grubbing to find redundant, inept, non-functional means to tax anglers.

There are good programs and people out there with the right intentions. Not trying to bash folks; I'm just always skeptical of bureaucracy and more taxes and fees-cause they never go away.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Neither am I, and I apologize if I have offended anyone on this board, as it was not my intent.

I was here to inform and make aware, though I will admit this one really ticked me off. A number of us warned this was going to happen way back in the beginning,. though it did actually take longer than expected.

Nevertheless, I received numerous calls asking I make this known, and funny, not one person that called has posted either way on this. I should know better shouldn't I? Well, until this is straightened out I will no longer post anything related to Clear Lake.

Yes, I will continue to fish the lake, not as much perhaps, but yes I will continue to fish here, I just cannot continue promoting it. Seems conflicted to me?

Peace out as they say!

john zillig

Post by john zillig »

Dan I sure hope you reconsider not posting here anymore. I have always enjoyed your info on the lake and fishing reports. You simply stated the facts and offered an honest opinion. I sure agree with you on how the county has messed this thing up. This whole thing has become a joke. The last several times I have been there, they don't even look at the boat. Just fill out some info and give them the money. Their weed spraying program is another joke. Only the government could mess this up so bad. What a way to manage such a great lake. I have fished up there for 30 yrs. and will continue to do so, but they sure don't make it easy.
ILW

Post by ILW »

Dan I also hope you reconsider. Your Clear Lake reports are something I look forward to especially when I cannot get over there. Its like living vicariously through your reports.
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Dan I too enjoy your posts. I am new to bass fishing and really look forward to your post. Please continue. I have no opinion on the mussel sticker a clear lake but I do go through the boat inspection on Tahoe. When they first started doing them all they wanted to see was your boat dry at the inspection. Now it has graduated to all kinds of requirements. Horsepower, engine pollution number, length of boat, etc. At least in Tahoe they don't want a motorized boat on the lake. It's all hoops so people are discouraged and go somewhere else. Hopefully this won't start happening at clear lake.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Dan,

Remember the old saying out of three people one will love you, one will take you or leave you, and one will hate you! Don't let the 33 percenters push you off the board! Some folks just hate that you are a great fisherman :) RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
MT

Post by MT »

Hope you change your mind Dan. I really look forward to your reports and hope they keep coming. I'm 142 miles from the lake and made 10 day trips up there from August to November. Your reports were always accurate and helped make every trip a huge success. The only problem for me was catching fish as big as the ones you were. Thanks.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

They "hate ya" cause they "ain't ya" Dan !.... forget the haters , more of us "luv ya " & your reports !.....
flipit

Post by flipit »

I get it that they are not really doing anything to protect the lake. Personally I see it as the California way. Its what the government does in this state. I for one will still fish the lake the same or more then past years. $10 extra is not gonna stop me from fishing one of the best lakes in the country. I hate to say it but lots of places are charging for the muscle stickers. The state charges with registration just to charge, they provide nothing. I live in Santa Clara County and quit fishing the local lakes 10 years ago when they began their inspections. Until the resident begin to complain, show up at city council meetings, and better voter turn outs the govt will do as they are.
That said. Fish on and tight lines. Nothing to get yer feathers ruffled over.
Fishing should be fun.
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

Boy am I glad I got my resident sticker early this year. What terrible mismanagement. I work for a government agency and see this kind of gross incompetence daily. Good news is lake is full, fishing will be great. Also Dan your reports are AMAZING please continue. Your reports help more people than you know!
sparky979

Post by sparky979 »

Dan I apologize for the results of my post. Obviously it is a subject that affects a lot of us and there are some intense feelings. I just felt it was kind of overreacting to the situation. I have had a residence at the lake for seventeen years pay property tax, personal property tax , and $60 a month for water if I use a drop or not it finances plant upgrade bonds. I think we are pretty spoiled to have a Lake like Clear Lake that has free launching all around the lake. Not sure that is available anywhere else in the state. I am also not sure how the county is making a lot of money off the present fee structure if seven of ten goes to the person doing the inspections. Again I apologize and please do not let my comments influence any contributions you make on this board. I read all your reports also, don't get up as much as I used to and use them to keep track of what's going on.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Sparky, no worries! Trust me, your post/words did not cause anything. I apologize to all for the delayed response but I've been swamped at the bench.

I truly appreciate all of the kind words of support, though I will no longer being doing any reports or promoting of Lake County and or Clear Lake specifically from this point on.

I'm just not prepared to give them a pass on this one, and to continue promoting the lake would be hypocritical in my eyes, and I'm just not going to go there!

I've done my best to be transparent, fair, and accurate. That said, after awhile it gets old hearing all of the "crying" and "complaining", most from the very people you are trying to assist. There is so much "special interest" around here, you cannot say anything without ticking someone off.

Trust me when I say I have a much deeper understanding of the "can't please everyone" phrase now! :shock:

Have a great spring!

Dan