RIP Rick Kendrick

crayfish

RIP Rick Kendrick

Post by crayfish »

Rick Kendrick has passed away on Saturday February 25, 2017 after a fight with Leukemia.

Rick was my fishing mentor, neighbor, and friend. I remember the day I moved into my house 20 years ago, as we unpacked Rick was returning from a Tournament with his shiny bass boat and I recall saying “There is my new best friend”. I did not find out until later that he already had a best friend in Russ Greenlee. Russ is the type of friend that we all need in life, he regularly visited with Rick during his battle with Cancer until his last day.

I will miss Rick’s stories of the good old days of Tournament fishing. Stories like when he had this young super confident young man as a backseater who told Rick he was the next big thing in fishing. Rick continued to do what he did best and catch more and better fish then the kid. I am not sure if Skeet Reese would remember this story, but I sure remember Rick telling me.

I will miss watching him fish with his spinning reel upside down, and still catching more fish than me.

There is something that I always tell people when they lose a loved one. “You will find comfort in remembering the good times spent with them”.

Many of you have known Rick, please feel free to share some good time stories.

I am not aware of any Service information. I will leave that to his Family.

I will miss him but I appreciate the time I did get to spend with him.

Ray Crane
Last edited by crayfish on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdisturber

Re: RIP Rick Kendrick

Post by sdisturber »

I remember fishing new bass tournaments against Rick and wondering if he knew that his reel was upside down and then seeing his weighin bag and swallowing my tongue. Didn't know him very well but he was always a first class guy when we spoke. RIP Rick. Dave hill
kb

Post by kb »

Rick was a really good guy and yea we all go back quite some time. Rick and Russ had a friendship that any person would be lucky to have in their life. I drew Rick back in the 80's and took him for a boat ride in a Skeeter Wrangler from Ladd's to Big Break and back...when we got to Big Break the rear compartment lid was gone, Rick had to fish all day and not step in the hole. We lost one of the good guys for sure and Russ if you need a fishing partner give me a call!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

RIP Rick! Prayers to all the family and friends, RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Fish2

Post by Fish2 »

We knew Rick Fishing Redman and NewBass sad to hear of his passing. He introduced us to the Clearlake diamonds.
George and Candy Galletti
CBS

Post by CBS »

Rick was the consummate regional bass pro. He loved the sport to its core and represented it the right way. I fished with Rick in a tourney many moons ago at Oroville, the wind was blowing so hard in the main body (where his fish were) I had to hold his feet and legs to keep him from getting blown off the front deck. I can still remember him with that reel upside down dragging his tube bait trying to fill his limit.
Will be missed
1joekster4u

Post by 1joekster4u »

This is Joe kendrick, Rick's son. Dad always told me don't hold the reel upside down like i do. I appreciate all of this and will share this with the family. Thank you all
Terrybenn

Post by Terrybenn »

I remember Rick and Russ from the new bass days. Rick was a Great guy to all. He loved the sport. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP Rick. Terry Bennett
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Sad to hear that Rick passed away . May God be with his family.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Oh man, so sorry to hear that.
I've known rick for many years and fished with and against him in the federation and won bass series. He's always been "that guy" with his reel upside down. Haha. He still could catch 'em.

Happy memories my friend, hope you're catching big with god.

Kopper_bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
tthomasy

Post by tthomasy »

I too had the luxury of fishing with Rick and getting whooped by the upside down reel. I met Rick through the Region 5 Bass Federation and he was always the consummate professional. He will be missed by all that knew him. My condolences go out to his family.

Tony Thomasy
TLC0523

Post by TLC0523 »

Previous daughter in law of Rick. Very sorry to hear about him passing...he was always wonderful to me. Thoughts are with the family.
Howard Hughes

Post by Howard Hughes »

Sorry to hear about Rick's Passing, as one the older guys I probably new Rick for 20 years are more. I will miss his sly grin like he knew something you did not !
Rod Brown

Post by Rod Brown »

Just saw this and saddened. Rick was a great guy! In the late 80's I drew Rick in a pro-am. One of my first times as a "pro". I look back and his spinning reel is on top and he's reeling backwards! We are in the delta! Being young I asked him why. He said he was taught that way. Well he proceeded to catch more and bigger fish than me and all the years after that it was always fun to talk to Rick and Russ. Oh, and I think he caught a sturgeon at Shasta if I recall.
1joekster4u

Post by 1joekster4u »

Services will be held on the 15th at 1pm at the national cemetery in Dixon.
The sturgeon from  Shasta
The sturgeon from Shasta