Delta Punching?

Morgan

Delta Punching?

Post by Morgan »

With all the high water and big flows, is there any Hyacinth left? I'm planning a trip (1st time this year) for 6 days out of B&W and wondering if I should bring my punch rods. I assume that there is submerged grass to flip into?

Probably won't go too deep into the no wake restriction zones, but I also assume that the upper (Sycamore, Hog, Beaver, White, Potato, Disappointment) has been being pounded really hard?

Thanks, Morgan
Freefall

Re: Delta Punching?

Post by Freefall »

Minimal hyacinth from what I have seen.

There is a few areas with grass/primrose to flip/punch.

I was in hog a few weeks ago. The visibility was 6" at best. It was a waste of time for me. It may have cleared up, especially towards the end but I'm not sure.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Morgan wrote:With all the high water and big flows, is there any Hyacinth left?
The Hyacinth tends to all die over the Winter and doesn't come back until it warms up ...... the high water levels are not to the point that everything is "submerged", not even close. The bite has been hot for a couple of weeks !
If you need to punch, last Falls now dead mats are still there ..... fish are still under them.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Save the heavy punching for later in the year.

Should be a good mix of pre, spawn and post.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

I was out last Sunday and didnt see any hyacinth - its too early still. Water is too cold (59 degF). It was a very tough bite for us too - not even a hit. Water is still pretty stained. I think most people that were out on Sunday found it tough.
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Flipping Black/Red jigs was the ticket for me today. Just had to take the time to find calm areas in today's crazy wind.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks Guys, That'll help. I normally put too much stuff in my boat so every bit helps. Heck when I had a aluminum boat I struggled with 6 rods getting tangled, then a float tube I struggled with 3 poles, then a fish n ski boat 8 rods, then a bass boat (now) 22 poles, and just bought a kayak and struggling with 4 poles- it never stops!
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

I haven't tried punching but there are some decent mats to flip. I can tell you that for me personally the bite has been great on the Delta the last 2 weeks. I'm not flipping though... I found water clarity anywhere from 1-3ish feet and temp around 58.8 to 61.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

The bite has been tough, some guys are catching them and thats impressive. Ive fished the delta for years and historically struggle pre spawn and this year was no exception.

However, I did figure out a pattern that's working but no size yet. They're definitely up getting ready based on all the males I was catching.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks Everybody! :D

Morgan
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

From what I saw out there two weeks ago the primrose, and hydrilla lines are holding some fish - but it's not thick mats so a heavy flip bait is sufficient. Like Tunaman said it's a pre-spawn - spawn bite. So vibrating jigs, jigs, and senkos have been strong weapons out there.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/