Electroshocking and Netting Long Lake, Still Caught 'Em

ttb31183

Electroshocking and Netting Long Lake, Still Caught 'Em

Post by ttb31183 »

This week they have been electroshocking and gill netting my home lake, Long Lake. The article I read about it said they are doing it to remove some pike and carp. I question the timing of these nets in shallow water as bass are nearly all on the bank this time of year, but we watched what they were doing and even talked to them when we were on the water yesterday.

The electroshock boat was cruising the shallows and they said they had shocked some giant bass (wouldn't tell us where!) and they were also collecting pike and carp. The gill net boats were also out in full force and we must have seen three or four in different areas of the lake. We witnessed them pulling the nets, throwing carp in big trash cans and then throwing other species back. A homeowner said they had the nets in all night in an area known for giant largemouth this time of year. Hope they didn't kill too many.

We did catch some nice fish, including this one that was just under five pounds. I caught it on a new bait from Ima called the Suspending Vibration 70. It's a lipless crankbait that suspends like a jerkbait at 3-4 feet. I thought it was really cool and I had some fun with it pausing it above boulders like when this one bit. I also threw it around emergent grass and can really see the potential there even though I didn't catch any that way.
Tyler Brinks