Late Spawners

ttb31183

Late Spawners

Post by ttb31183 »

It's been a weird year here in the PNW. The ice took longer than normal to melt and it was pretty cold all spring. The result was a later than normal spawn and some places still have tons of beds. I fished a tournament last weekend and sight fishing was a viable way to get a check and that is rare this time of year on that lake.

Yesterday, I went up farther north into Idaho and they were in full on spawn mode. Not just a few stragglers, but beds everywhere and the fish were aggressive. I have rarely seen largemouth on beds that were so mad. Some you would almost run over with the trolling motor before you saw them and you could drop down and catch them first or second cast. Needless to say, it was fun. Most were like this, solid 3lb fish.

We did catch three over four pounds. Nothing giant, but this one was 4.61lbs and came pitching a big log with a jig instead of sight fishing. It looked like it had something inside of its stomach. Any guesses?

Since this is a pretty remote area the mapping is limited in some areas. It was actually a blank blue screen before I started fishing it and mapping it a few years ago. It's only going to get better after yesterday. I mapped everywhere we went in all of the backwaters.

Tyler Brinks