July 3rd Delta report

Kyle46N

July 3rd Delta report

Post by Kyle46N »

Took my son out early this morning, hoping to beat the crowds. We got a few hours of calm before the pleasure boater chaos started. It was kind of funny actually. The further up the sloughs we went, the more bass boats we saw. Obviously the bass fishermen were trying to get away from all the ski boats and joy rider boats. This was my third trip to the Delta, and at the least, I'm learning, and the results are slowly getting better. I actually put together a 5 fish for 15 lb bag together today (IF I were fishing a tourney today), verses the best 5 for maaaaaybe 9 lbs previous two trips. We found some decent frog fish this morning. I took the advice of a Cooch article telling Delta noobies to quit chasing vegetation and start fishing the Delta like you would any other bass water. Key point......."points". So we hopped from point to point, instead of grass line to grass line. It helped for sure, as we caught all of our best fish off points with current ripping around them. The bass on these points were literally jumping a foot out of the water from the initial impact, with the frog in the back of their throats. Later in the day we got away from the plan that was working (not sure how that happens) and got further into the slop and sloughs, only to find nothing or occasional, half hearted swipes at the frog. Most of our success was in the Old river area southeast of Franks. We fished Potato a little and Georgianne towards the end of the day heading back to the ramp at B&W. Caught a few little fish guys punching isolated grass in Georgianne's.

Big picture, I can't complain about catching a few fish on the Delta amongst hundreds of boats on July 3rd.
Javelin Jim

Re: July 3rd Delta report

Post by Javelin Jim »

Good stuff! Thanks for the report.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Re: July 3rd Delta report

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Thanks for the report haven't been out there in a while and heard it's been tougher than usual i'm itching to catch one on a frog!