Clearlake Conditions

toddmc

Clearlake Conditions

Post by toddmc »

How's the water clarity, algae, and weed conditions vs. last year at this time? I'll be up on Sunday for at least a week and I would like to know what to expect so that I can rig some rods. Thanks.
185vsfrog

Re: Clearlake Conditions

Post by 185vsfrog »

Clarity is horrible and algae bloom is horrible. Rattle snake and keys areas are really bad along with red bud. Mid lake is best clarity. With that in mind fish are still biting good. Wide open shallow bite on 2 lb fish in the cleaner water spots. Flipping tullies and weed clumps will get better, but fewer bites. Frog bite is happening too. I heard there is a good jig and crank bite on deep rocks also. Just bring lots of water and sunscreen because you'll need it.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

185vsfrog wrote:Clarity is horrible and algae bloom is horrible. Rattle snake and keys areas are really bad along with red bud. Mid lake is best clarity. With that in mind fish are still biting good. Wide open shallow bite on 2 lb fish in the cleaner water spots. Flipping tullies and weed clumps will get better, but fewer bites. Frog bite is happening too. I heard there is a good jig and crank bite on deep rocks also. Just bring lots of water and sunscreen because you'll need it.
The algae seems to be bad every year in August. The Keys were unfishable last year at this time if the wind was pushing the algae in that direction. I had to fish Rattlesnake early before the building wind pushed algae that way as the day progressed. The middle part of the lake was full of boats at this time last year.
Are they spreading pellets everywhere in the south end to kill the weeds like they did last year? It really moved those fish out of the freshly treated areas.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Yes they are pelleting. Apparently people are saying there's more algae this year than years prior. Fishing is still really good though!
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

185vsfrog wrote:Yes they are pelleting. Apparently people are saying there's more algae this year than years prior. Fishing is still really good though!
Thanks. I just hope that the rice flies that stick to your boat aren't as bad as they were several years back.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

No rice flies right now and algae is not bad midlake, Ive seen it way thicker.i went out this morning for a quick topwater fix.Caught some frog and buzzbait fish and off the water at 9am.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote:No rice flies right now and algae is not bad midlake, Ive seen it way thicker.i went out this morning for a quick topwater fix.Caught some frog and buzzbait fish and off the water at 9am.
Nice. The algae is fine as long as it doesn't clog my levelwind.
Rangerrick5

Post by Rangerrick5 »

Fished Fri., Sat., and Sunday for about 200 plus fish 1 to 3 lbs. with one 6.5 lber. Water clarity is fine north and south at mid lake. Recommend LV 500 and square bills in shad patterns fished in shallow rocks. Drop shot with MM III and baby brush hogs in watermelon red. Find the bait and you will find the bass. Some spots loaded, some spots dead. Some top water. Good luck!
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I got a nice one on my first afternoon. I have the rest of the week to try to better it. :D
Attachments
Clearlake 9.71 8-6-17.jpg