Satellite Images for boat

Rod Martin

Satellite Images for boat

Post by Rod Martin »

I have gps but want to have Satellite on my boat. I have Navionics on my phone and try to use it but its too small and hard to see with sun glasses and moving.
Some of the place I fish have very bad mapping and I need to use Satellite to see some of the canals where gps doesn't show right.

Thanks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
WRB

Re: Satellite Images for boat

Post by WRB »

RAM makes holders for iPads up to 10" that should work.
Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks Tom
Overtime I leave my iPhone out in the sun it stops working or I burn it up. How do you keep the sun and heat from bothering them ?

Thanks
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Rod are you talking about Goggle Earth overlays or Navionics live charting?

Google Earth just shows you static satellite images and they can be anywhere from 1 month to a year old.

Navionics has a terrain overlay that comes from satellite images that are static but it does at least track your movements on that image.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

ACRon wrote:Rod are you talking about Goggle Earth overlays or Navionics live charting?

Google Earth just shows you static satellite images and they can be anywhere from 1 month to a year old.

Navionics has a terrain overlay that comes from satellite images that are static but it does at least track your movements on that image.

Both, I have both on my phone and both will track your position. I have compared the 2. Google seems to have the most updated pictures.
I moved from California (where every lake is mapped to the extreme ) To Florida ( where the mapping shows high water mark as lake shore)
So running from one lake to another thru a series of canals 20' wide when the GPS shows a lake is stressful to say the least.

So I want to have satellite with position tracking on the boat that can be seen in bright sun and sunglasses.

It would be nice if Lowrance or Hummingbird would add that feature to their GPS chart plotters.
Maybe one of them does and I have not found it. Thats why I ask whats best. :)

If I could have anything in a gps it would be satellite imaging and auto update without having to remove the card and go to the computer
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:RAM makes holders for iPads up to 10" that should work.
Tom
I ordered one for my phone. I am going to try mounting with a quick release and putting it in the glovebox each time I stop. See what I can do to the screen to make it more visible during bright sunlight
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Hello Rod,

The Navionics mobile app is also available for tablets and ipads if you have one laying around. There are a lot of guys out there using their Ipads with the Navionics app mounted with a Ram mount for navigating, that way they have a been screen to see while navigating.

Travis Huckaby
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

TravisH wrote:Hello Rod,

The Navionics mobile app is also available for tablets and ipads if you have one laying around. There are a lot of guys out there using their Ipads with the Navionics app mounted with a Ram mount for navigating, that way they have a been screen to see while navigating.

Travis Huckaby

Thanks Travis
I'm going to try my phone, if it works I will buy a pad and move up.

Thanks for the input guys