2/17/18 Delta

ElGuapo

2/17/18 Delta

Post by ElGuapo »

Launched out of Russo's just after 9AM. Air temp low 50's, water temp low 50's. Before I got off the water air temps were in the high 60's (shoulda wore shorts and flip flops) and water temp was in the mid to high 50's(!).

Fished south facing banks with tule clumps most of the time. I was sitting in 3-5' of water throwing to ~1-3'. Tried to force feed 'em a jig but they weren't having it. As soon as I switched to drop shot I started getting bit. Mostly around sparser tules, outside edge. Hydrowave set on "Crawfish on Gravel Finesse".

Caught 4 small ones and one good keeper this way. In this video I catch two off the exact same spot, back to back.

Freefall

Re: 2/17/18 Delta

Post by Freefall »

Nicely done. I can't wait to find a boat and get back out there. I'm dying to set the hook again.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Freefall wrote:Nicely done. I can't wait to find a boat and get back out there. I'm dying to set the hook again.
Thanks! Sadly I think this cold snap might put the brakes on the bite in the short term.
ILW

Post by ILW »

Thanks for sharing. I too was hoping against the cold snap situation. Guess I will have to be patient and wait for the true spring to show up.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

ElGuapo wrote:
Freefall wrote:Nicely done. I can't wait to find a boat and get back out there. I'm dying to set the hook again.
Thanks! Sadly I think this cold snap might put the brakes on the bite in the short term.
I agree, knowing it'll be slow takes the sting out of not having my boat yet. Hopefully the next few weeks bring a warming trend & low pressure.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

Went out today and the cold snap has definitely changed things.
Never saw over 52 degrees water temp all day.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Caleb.Smith wrote:Went out today and the cold snap has definitely changed things.
Any bites at all or did it completely shut down?
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

ElGuapo wrote:
Caleb.Smith wrote:Went out today and the cold snap has definitely changed things.
Any bites at all or did it completely shut down?
I had bites but few and far in between. Had to slow way way down
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Good on you Caleb. I have trouble slowing down so I probably woulda gotten skunked!
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Thanks for the info gents.....I think I'm going to head to Berryessa tomorrow. Cold, rain, wind, this recent Delta info..................I would rather at least see fish on a graph and not catch them verses not see any fish and not catch them. I considered not going at all, but I have an addiction
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Kyle give us a follow up on Berryessa. I was out there this week and grinding all day for 3 fish. I’m hoping the lake turns on soon it’s my favorite fishing hole
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Count on it. Fish or no fish, I'll tell you what happens.