Delta rigs & Lakes rigs

Hookset5

Delta rigs & Lakes rigs

Post by Hookset5 »

Hello, I fish 50% delta waters and 50% lakes around the central valley for large-mouth bass. I was wondering if ya'll could share how you maneuver around the set-up changes (light line vs heavy). Do you have a select number of rods and swap reels?
I used to have 14 rods and half were rigged for light line and the other half for heavier line. It worked pretty well except for space to store them. With a carpenters budget, I only have 7 "good" technique specific rods/reels and 7 that I've merely put together for the sake of "making do". Before I downsize and consider changing line, or reels (or both) every-time I fish a different body of water, should I re-consider and find space? It seems more beneficial to have 2-sets of gear but to be honest, when I'm fishing with one of my "make do" set-ups, I always think I should have brought my better gear and re-spooled. Thoughts?
monte300

Re: Delta rigs & Lakes rigs

Post by monte300 »

Hookset, as a 100% Delta fisherman I probably won't be able to help you more than saying what typically works at the Delta also works at Clearlake. The baits, colors and I assume rigs. It would probably be helpful to those far more knowledgeable than myself as to which lakes you're referring to, ie Pardee, Don Pedro, Camanche, etc......
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

I fish the lakes in the winter , Delta summer. So when I change I usually don’t go back to the lakes. Having said that if I was in your shoes I would probably go braid main line to leader so I could adjust from heavy to light line.
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Braid to leader. 50-65lb braid and then just adjust leader size and leader length depending on body of water.

I use spinning rods a lot in reservoirs and never use one on the delta, so they are always ready to go.
nate50

Post by nate50 »

I also fish both lakes and delta throughout the year. I agree with the comments braid main line and change leader line size and length. My spinning reels have 15lb braid then I choose the leader line size depending in conditions/location. My casting reels have 30lb braid for my crankin/spinnerbait reels and 65lb for my Flippin/punching set ups. Then I pick leader line size based on conditions/locations.
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

Another option is to purchase extra spools for your reels and just change them out so you don't have to respool. It will save you money in the long run and you can use your better reels for both.
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey thanks fellas for that information. I never considered leaders as an option for light line tackle over heavier line. What knot shoots through the guides better? The only one i've ever tied when fly fishing is a bloodknot but the leader never needs to shoot through the eyes on a fly rod.

Thanks for this it will save me some money and space
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

If you're willing to take the time to learn it, the FG knot is the thinnest knot available. This link is probably the best tutorial available. If you attempt this knot, the step I missed the most, and caused the most frustration was the applying HEAVY pressure when pulling the main lines apart.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how ... e-fg-knot/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Hookset5 wrote:Hey thanks fellas for that information. I never considered leaders as an option for light line tackle over heavier line. What knot shoots through the guides better? The only one i've ever tied when fly fishing is a bloodknot but the leader never needs to shoot through the eyes on a fly rod.

The double Albright is thin and strong.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Hookset5 wrote:Hey thanks fellas for that information. I never considered leaders as an option for light line tackle over heavier line. What knot shoots through the guides better? The only one i've ever tied when fly fishing is a bloodknot but the leader never needs to shoot through the eyes on a fly rod.

Crazy Alberto is another good knot
http://www.westernbass.com/video/tie-br ... berto-knot
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"