Delta, 26 Mar 18

Kyle46N

Delta, 26 Mar 18

Post by Kyle46N »

Decided to check out the first day of the run of what looks to be beautiful weather over the next week or so. We were greeted with 20 plus mph winds, with gusts to may as well been 80 mph. Blue bird skies, and a north wind? Where did this post front come from? Anyhow, I went down Potato into White Slough and Disappointment. Everything was muddy to stained. So I kept going and ended up even further down White's. Finally found clear water and what I thought would be a perfect area for fish to get shallow with the climbing water temps, (ended at 59 today). Not much happened. My son caught a three to go along with a couple dinks I caught on a squarebill and punching. We moved to an island in the San Joaquin, only place we could find that didn't have white capped rollers, and started flippin. Not five minutes into it, I put a jig at the base of a Pampas grass bush, and had a 7 lber choke it down. My first Delta giant. Okay, okay....I know that's not a Delta giant, but it's my first Delta fish over six since I moved here this past summer. Felt good to say the least. Well, we couldn't get any more bites in that area, so we went to the back of another slough in the White's slough family, and caught about 10 1-2 lbrs on swimbaits. Water was clear, but with the tide almost out, all we could get was the little guys to chase swimbaits. When we could get fish to eat, they were in a foot or two of water, so I would say a run on shallow water real estate is getting ready to happen on the Delta.
Freefall

Re: Delta, 26 Mar 18

Post by Freefall »

A 7 is a solid fish. Well done.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
monte300

Re: Delta, 26 Mar 18

Post by monte300 »

Freefall wrote:A 7 is a solid fish. Well done.
Never ever apologize for a 7 pounder :D