Where to smallmouth fish in Western oregon?

sam_m

Where to smallmouth fish in Western oregon?

Post by sam_m »

Hi guys,
New to the forum. I'm getting ready to move to Portland/Salem area from the midwest...been wanting to make the move for years. I love the West in general and really want to be where I can fish clear rivers year round that hold good smallies and other game fish, but 99% basshead lol. Where I am you have to fish lakes to get good bass fishing, the rivers are shallow and muddy here. That's at least a big part of why I'm moving to be honest. I've heard a lot about the obvious stuff in the Eastern part of the state, but I'm looking for stuff near Portland, and hopefully some good tributaries or estuary waters off of the Columbia that are fishable by wading. I really love the idea of walking out my backdoor and being able to jump in the Jeep and go fish a clear river no boat needed. So any good ideas of creeks/rivers to try?
bustout

Re: Where to smallmouth fish in Western oregon?

Post by bustout »

lots of smallmouth in the Willamete river
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

I love PDX and may end up there myself someday. The Columbia River was in the 2017 Bassmaster Top 100 list. Between the Columbia and Willamette you should have all the brown fish you can handle. Keep us posted!
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

There are tons of great fisheries in Oregon and Washington. The Columbia is the biggest and most well known. The Hood River area has giants. The Willamette and John Day are also very good. For lakes, I'd look into Henry Hagg or Tenmile for largemouth. Good luck!
Tyler Brinks
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Umpqua river around roseburg
sam_m

Post by sam_m »

Rattle wrote:Umpqua river around roseburg
Interesting. I was looking at the umpqua on a map... Do you know if it's good further North on the river, closer to Portland?
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

sam_m wrote:
Rattle wrote:Umpqua river around roseburg
Interesting. I was looking at the umpqua on a map... Do you know if it's good further North on the river, closer to Portland?

Not sure about that. My only experience is around Roseburg. Sorry
milehi

Post by milehi »

nowhere near portland
sam_m

Post by sam_m »

milehi wrote:nowhere near portland

ok... :roll:
benarsenault

Post by benarsenault »

sam_m wrote:ok... :roll:
Don't get discouraged. Henry Hagg lake is 35 miles from Portland and it produced the state record smallmouth (8 lbs. in 2005). Even if the rivers around Portland are just okay, it seems like there's a really great fishery within an hour drive.
steve black

Post by steve black »

Yes don't get discouraged, My son lives in Winston near Roseburg, and last summer we fished Ten Mile lake, for largies and I was impressed. Since then every time I visit I check out the near surrounding lakes up as far as Eugene, I think you wont be disappointed, just about every lake has smallies. We plan too move hopefully soon. :D
Steve.
sam_m

Post by sam_m »

steve black wrote:Yes don't get discouraged, My son lives in Winston near Roseburg, and last summer we fished Ten Mile lake, for largies and I was impressed. Since then every time I visit I check out the near surrounding lakes up as far as Eugene, I think you wont be disappointed, just about every lake has smallies. We plan too move hopefully soon. :D
Steve.

Thanks!!