California Boat Operator Card

Keith Rakoncza

California Boat Operator Card

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

Good old California regulations for your reading pleasure. This bulletin was sent out by California State Parks.

CALIFORNIA BOATER CARD
The sections below serve as notification of new laws regarding the requirement of certain operators of motorized vessels to possess a California Boater Card. These laws became effective January 1, 2018.
CALIFORNIA BOATER CARD
The new law, which will be phased in by age, prohibits the operation of a vessel that is propelled by an engine in the waters of the state except by a person who is in possession of a valid vessel operator card, referred to as the California Boater Card, developed and issued by the State of California, Department of Parks and Recreation Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), and imposes that prohibition on persons pursuant to a specified schedule. Certain persons are exempt from the requirement, as specified by law. The law provides that a violation of the law’s provisions is an infraction and requires a court to order a person who violates those provisions to complete and pass a boating safety course approved by the DBW.
The first group required to take the exam are boaters 20 years of age and younger. Each year after January 2018, a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid card. By 2025, all persons who operate a motorized vessel on California waters will be required to have one. The cost of the card is $10, and all the money goes toward developing and operating the program.
DBW is now accepting applications and issuing California Boater Cards. The card verifies that its holder has successfully taken and passed an approved boater safety education course. Once issued, the California Boater Card remains valid for an operator’s lifetime.
Given that the Division is in the process of developing regulations, as well as the fact that the California Boater Card is a new requirement, which has an extended phasing based on age, the Department of Parks and Recreation is recommending that State Park Peace Officers emphasize an educational approach to enforcement until regulations are in place. Operators with extensive other violations, uncooperative violators or violations occurring after a warning may well warrant citation.

Statutory information below:
Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678 (add) – Vessel Operators’ Education and Certification Cards.

678. (a) On or before January 1, 2018, the division shall develop a vessel operator card to be issued pursuant to this article.
(b) The division shall issue, or cause to be issued, a vessel operator card to a person who provides the division with proof that the person has passed a vessel operator examination approved by the division or a vessel operator course that includes an examination and is approved by the division pursuant to Section 668.1 or 668.3.
(c) A vessel operator card shall be valid for the life of the person to whom it is issued.

678.11 (a) Subject to the schedule in subdivision (b), a person shall not operate on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the state a vessel that is propelled by an engine, regardless of whether the engine is the principal source of propulsion, unless the person has in his or her possession a vessel operator card issued by the division pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 678.
(b) A person is subject to subdivision (a) according to the following schedule:
(1) On and after January 1, 2018: A person 20 years of age or younger.
(2) On and after January 1, 2019: A person 25 years of age or younger.
(3) On and after January 1, 2020: A person 35 years of age or younger.
(4) On and after January 1, 2021: A person 40 years of age or younger.
(5) On and after January 1, 2022: A person 45 years of age or younger.
(6) On and after January 1, 2023: A person 50 years of age or younger.
(7) On and after January 1, 2024: A person 60 years of age or younger.
(8) On and after January 1, 2025: All persons, regardless of age.
(c) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) A person who is a resident of another state or a foreign country who is operating a vessel and meets either of
the following requirements:
(A) The person is temporarily using the waters of this state for a period not to exceed 60 days, and meets the
applicable requirements, if any, of his or her state of residency.
(B) The person is temporarily using the waters of this state for a period not to exceed 90 days, and meets the
applicable requirements, if any, of his or her country of residency.
(2) A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in
possession of a vessel operator card issued pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 678 or who is not required to
possess a vessel operator card pursuant to paragraph (6).
(3) A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
(4) A person operating a rental vessel.
(5) A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
(6) A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is
operating, issued by the United States Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant
to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers, 1978, as
amended.
(7) A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer
Standards and Training.

The full text of the law can be found at the following link: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces ... 20140SB941.
MichaelB

Re: California Boat Operator Card

Post by MichaelB »

Before you throw the State under the bus, the course is very informative. All the materials are provided at no charge, including the test information which you complete yourself and mail in to be scored. The course handbook is sent to you free, and/or the same handbook is also online.
Beware of all of the outfits providing "services" costing $20 - $40 for the same course similar to traffic school. When you have your card, which takes about 3 weeks after you send in your test, turn it in to whoever is carrying your boat insurance and you will get a 5% to 10% discount on your premium.

I wish every jacka*s on a jet ski or wakeboard boat had completed the course.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/

http://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28734#homeStudy
Keith Rakoncza

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

Dont get me wrong, I support everyone driving a vessel should have some sort of training or drivers education and possess a license for it. But please let me know if I am miss understanding the sections that state someone who rents a vessel does not need a license? If correct, they are usually the least trained and experienced on the water.
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

MichaelB,
Glad you also believe in people taking a course to drive a boat, but don't just single out Jet Skiers!
Did that for 12 years back in the day, been bass fishing for over 25 years, and boating since I was about 14.
I'm old now :-)

I've seen just as many bad boaters in every form, from pleasure boats, ski/wake board boats, bass boats, Jetskis, ets.
To prove a point we've had a couple high profile tournaments with bass boats wrecking.

Getting some schooling isn't a bad thing for all of us.
I've completed the safe boating course online and it's not a bad thing, but experience can only be gained by being out on the water. It's been awhile but I believe it was free or very cheap.

Take care everyone and be safe out there!
Rene
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Did not mean to suggest that all jet skis and wakeboard boats are a PIA ..... but I am old and grumpy.
As far as I am concerned, there are two types of boats:
Those boats that are fishing, and those boats that are aggravating those who are trying to fish !!!
:wink: