Fishing Castaic Lake for Big Bass

ANieves

Fishing Castaic Lake for Big Bass

Post by ANieves »

Hey everyone! New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from LA and do a lot of shore fishing at the reservoirs around here. Also finishing up grad school at Cal and fish the delta a lot when I'm up there.

I've been out to Castaic twice in the last five days and found a pretty decent bite both days.

5/14: Hiked down to the lake and started fishing just after sunrise. The water was crystal clear and it looks like the water level is at about 90% capacity. I spent most of the day targeting flooded brush in the back of coves and on secondary points. Had one bite early on a pointer 78dd, but pulled the hook. The rest of my bites over the next few hours came on a drop shot and I landed seven fish that averaged between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds. Ran over to a spot on the main lake with some brush and started working a squarebill. On my six or seventh cast I stuck a fish I'd estimate to be about 5lbs. Finished the day with a 5-fish limit of about 14lbs.

5/18: Got to the lake around noon and found that windy conditions had muddied up the coves I'd targeted on my last trip. My bother and I fished drop shots, senkos and jerkbaits and only managed two fish off a secondary point. I figured that warm weather over the last few days had probably pushed the fish out to deeper water on the main lake, so we decided to spend the rest of our time fishing drop shots and a jerkbait along a bluff wall. Saw multiple fish follow the jerkbait and caught one more fish on the drop shot.