Chasers uncommited!

Hookset5

Chasers uncommited!

Post by Hookset5 »

Little run down, went into the narrows, bass were in post spawn. I had a nice fish come up for my swimbait but once he/she hit the clarity level, it went back down. Tied on a few other imitation lures to get these bass to bite but they were more curious than anything. They would follow my bait, no matter what I tied on. Then I tied on a jerk bait and was able to catch one. I caught another on a swimbait (reaction strike) and another on a fluke (reaction strike). I was wondering how to pattern this? I could have kept pounding the bank for more reactions strikes but I was sitting on a gold mine with 5-7 decent sized fish chasing my baits up to the water clarity level and then right back down. These were either males guarding fry or ?? Water temp was 73-78 all day. I'm always caught between leaving fish to find fish and covering water for a reaction strike. I did catch 3, but not more than 6# between them.
BigBassDaddy1190

Re: Chasers uncommited!

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

I would first move off he area and then come back but stay just in casting distance. Cycle baits and if you can’t get anything going move on and possibly come back again later. When they are locked on to a specific forage they can be hard to catch, especially in clear water.

Personally if I couldn’t get bit on anything I would locate some stained water and look for that bigger reaction bite.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I just spent 10 days at Clear Lake. Fishing was good at times and not so good at others. With all the tournaments the fish were cautious. Seemed like if you wanted to get a reaction bite the bait had to be moving fast so they didn't have time to think and inspect. My biggest fish the entire time was 6.5 lbs. I did catch a 6# off a bed but most of the beds had 1.5-2 lb fish on them and those suckers were tough to catch. It's not the same lake it was before the fish die off last year.
Kolt45

Post by Kolt45 »

What made the fish die off last year?

I was on Clearlake a few weeks ago and saw many dead crappie, bass and carp around the entire lake. What is going on?

Also noticed the algae bloomed much sooner this year. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bass Addiction

Post by Bass Addiction »

Kolt45 wrote:What made the fish die off last year?

I was on Clearlake a few weeks ago and saw many dead crappie, bass and carp around the entire lake. What is going on?

Also noticed the algae bloomed much sooner this year. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
There are 2 theories from people I know on this. My personal answer is the first i'll list. Clear Lake hired & contracted a new company to control the weeds last year. Most, including myself, believe they over treated the lake killing not only the weeds but a large population of ALL of the fish at the same time. If you Google search "Clear lake fish die off" I believe you'll find more on this. The 2nd theory told to me by a local there, was that by the severe flooding that the lake had last year that a large amounts of the vegetation was "choked off" and died and those dead plants "poisoned" the water sorta speak.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am going to speculate this started happening later in the day once the sun was fully up? Those fish will crush the baits in the AM or low light conditions. Pull out a bit deeper and go heavier or stay in the same zone and downsize, a mix up with square bills etc... that will get them when they swipe at it.

I had this going on a few weeks ago, i am sure you could throw a drop shot through those zones where you see active fish and pick them up too. :wink:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/