Record Catfish Caught in Seattle

WB Staff

Record Catfish Caught in Seattle

Post by WB Staff »

Green-Lake-fish-image_1529009671017_11995415_ver1.0_640_360-620x349.jpg
A fisherman pulled a 45-pound catfish from Green Lake Saturday afternoon in what may be the largest fish caught there.

Ahmed Majeed, 35, went to the lake on June 9 and first caught a roughly 30-pound carp about noon.

“Then two hours after that I landed the catfish and that monster was 45 pounds,” Majeed said. “I didn’t think I was going to land it.”

His line had a capacity for a 20-pound fish. As it got close to the shore, a friend helped with a net.

“I didn’t think I was going to land it. … When I got the fish out of the water the hook was already bent.”

Majeed talked to KIRO 7 about the catch and what it felt like to haul it in. See that interview – and footage of him on Green Lake that day – on KIRO 7 News at 7 p.m.

Seattle Parks and Recreation Department doesn’t keep track of records for fish caught in Green Lake, but spokeswoman Rachel Schulkin said “the one caught this past weekend might be the largest.” The State Department of Fish and Wildlife thinks so, too.

The channel catfish Majeed caught is estimated to be at least 15 years old. And other fishermen think the catch is legit.

Video at Channel 7 News: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/record ... /769945302