Trinity tournament, surely not true

Bill K

Trinity tournament, surely not true

Post by Bill K »

Tell me that this was just a post, in jest, on the recent tournament at Trinity lake. See Trinity reports.. Bill K :(
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
JamesH

Re: Trinity tournament, surely not true

Post by JamesH »

Wow that's too bad. Now if it was 200 Oroville clones I wouldn't be so sad....
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

what is going on up there. a secret little lake i do not post about so people like the SPI GROUP would never bother to visit. those numbers are painfully heartbreaking. i hope none of that is true....that was something fish and game should have been supervising!!!

saLTIE-
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

and yes those spawn all up and through august!

saLTIE-
CN

Post by CN »

No this is just something we should all think about.The person that posted this has an agenda.Think about it more and more post's in regard's to dead fish from tournament's like another post here.

Do you ever stop and think about how much this sport is being promoted now day's,which i like,but is it to much?People love to protest they just aint got much else to do and i would hate to see the progress you guy's have done get hurt in any way by to much pubicity.Yet again they have those shark tournament's on ESPN,can i say that here,and bring in dead fish so who know's.

Be carefull guy's
JamesH

CN...

Post by JamesH »

John Gray is a respected guide with a great reputation, what makes you think he posted that story with a hidden agenda?

James
Mike

Re: CN...

Post by Mike »

And Don't call me Surely :lol:
Scott Shambre

IF THIS IS TRUE!!!!!!!!

Post by Scott Shambre »

The local Fish & Game people need to be alerted.!!!!!!!

I just read my permit provisions that I get for every tournament from Kyle over at Fish & Game and it clearly states ;

1. Insofar as possible, all fish shall be returned to the water alive and in good condition, except as follows :

a. The Dept. may, for scientific or management purposes, take possession of any fish caught during a contest.

b. The planned retention by contest particpants of a VERY limit number of bass, such as trophy-sized fish, is permitted; however, abuse of this provision, as determined by any Dept. representive, can place the sponsors current and future permits in jeopardy.

As I see it this organization broke the law and should lose their permits for LIFE!!!!!!!

Scott Shambre
FOLSOM BASS LEAGUE
www.folsombassleague.com
www.rangerboats.com
C&C Marine Citrus Heights
www.okumafishing.com
www.powellco.com (Powell Rods)
www.basscatcher.com (Markey Baits)
www.roboworm.com
SUSIE'S COUNTRY OAKS CAFE
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
Bill K

Re: IF THIS IS TRUE!!!!!!!!

Post by Bill K »

The report, appears to me, says it was a informal tournament among a group from a company and therefore would not need a permit. They also waited til the five fish limit went into effect, then kept five fish per angler, legal by F&G rules. However I still feel this is going to far, in the amount of fish they caught and killed in one outing and at the time that they did it, alongwith the size of the fish, which could have spawned a lot of fish for the future of the lake. Just appears to me to be a major overkill event, if you know what I mean, even tho it is probably legal. Bill K :(
Dewayne

Re: Bill et all

Post by Dewayne »

If moneys were paid, trophys are handed out, or they keep fishing after having 5 fish in the live well, a tournament permit is required as it is still a fishing contest. Same goes for club tournaments. They type of permit needed is what changes not the need for a permit.

I doubt there is an agenda from John Grey other than the love of the fishery. He needs to report this to DFG for an investigation.

Camping at Trinity Lake the past few years I have seen more catch and filet bass fishing that I have on all the other lakes I have fished/camped combined. Even the Delta. It is pretty sad to see limits of 4-5# smallies carried through the camp grounds day after day to the fish cleaning stations.
Dewayne
sTony

Definite follow up needs to happen here...

Post by sTony »

I can tell from first hand experience that John is a stand up guy and there's no pulling of anyone's legs with his post and that the content can be taken at its word.

I can also state that DFG in the Shasta region should be notified as there is no such thing as a small 'company' or informal tournament. That every fish in the tournament was kept is contemptable and the folks at SPI need to be informed that what there doing is upsetting to a lot of folks and pending DFGs word might be completely illegal. According to John monies were paid out so we'll need to find out if there was a permit for the event at all and if DFG understands how this event is being conducted.

I've put in a call to Kyle Murphy and Dennis Lee but I believe this isn't under their direct jurisdiction as they're in the Sac region and not the Redding region but I'll do my best to follow up on this matter.

sTony
Bill K

Re: Definite follow up needs to happen here...

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Tony, Good you know some dependable contacts to follow up and check this out. It needs to be done. Thank you again, Bill K :)
MN

Re: CN...

Post by MN »

Jame's i am sorry but i have no clue as to what you meant about John Grey.I did not mean my post to be aimed toward's anyone.I just think the more the spotlight shine's on these tournament's the more people that may be against them,which i am not i have fished them myself,may be there at the weighins trying to be a problem.

Beside's i know enough that a guide would never post something like that.

And yes CN/MN are the same.I am just to stupid on this computer and i had to create a new user name for my computer at home.MN i am at work and CN i am at home. :?
Scott Shambre

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN INFORMAL TOURNAMENT....

Post by Scott Shambre »

If they paid money to enter or were paid money for placing they needed an Annual permit at the least. If they had over 50 participants OR paid more than $1000 in prizes or inducements, they needed an Event permit.

Scott Shambre
Scott Shambre

According to the Fish & Game website.....

Post by Scott Shambre »

There was NO permit issued to anyone for anytime from May 1 thru 6/9/06. Great Basin Bassmasters has an Annual permit for 6/10/06, this "informal" tournament was illegal by Fish & Game code and needs to be reported immediately. This type of behavior makes it more difficult for every org. that obtains a permit legally to operate in this state.

Scott Shambre
Last edited by Scott Shambre on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny C

Re: According to the Fish & Game website.....

Post by Johnny C »

I thought the days of these bass slaughters were over...This is really sad..Not just because of the fish, but the ignorance!!!!!!..Thanks for all your posts John..I enjoy reading them.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
basstamer

Who is SPI?????

Post by basstamer »

Sierra Pacific????
basstamer

Who is SPI?????

Post by basstamer »

Sierra Pacific????
CORAL 96

Re: Is Trinity that fragile a watershed??

Post by CORAL 96 »

I houseboated up there about 5 years ago. Huge lake, I believe it has 160 miles of shoreline. If there was no limit infraction (5 fish), are they not allowed to keep some for the frying pan? I see more and more of the "Self Proclaimed" pro bass folk frowning on folks keeping a few "LEGAL" fish. Trinity is a BIG and deep lake with probably more fish in it than any of us can see. We'll never know the answer to "How Many" unless we were to have a drought worse than the one back in 1976-1977 era, and then we could all put our hip boots on and count fish at minimum pool. :lol:

Remember, Black Bass are actually in the Sunfish family & we've seen how they multiply!!! :wink:
Kelly Ripa

????????????????

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Oh baby....I am so glad that I didn't post my original post. Coral 96 might want to go into hiding.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Kelly Ripa

Go to It Bones....

Post by Kelly Ripa »

and thanks for the info I had an exceptional trip 8)
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Steve

Hey Stony and John aint lying

Post by Steve »

Hey Stony, if Im not mistaken Mr. Lee is one rung up on the superiority ladder of those people in charge of Trinity Lake (Larry Preston in Eureka, and Larry Hanson in Redding). If you really want to call somebody whos in charge, forget Kyle (heritage trount person) and Dennis and go straight to the two Larry's. Have fun with Mr. Preston.

John has no reason to sensationalize anything going on at Trinity. In the many years I spent there, I can attest to the fact that most of the people that fish there are meat type fisherman. Its just a different mentality in those mountains. When I used to camp there, I can tell you that every other camper kept what they could within the law, including many 5 and 6 pound bass. It used to kill me, but hey, they were legal.

The one thing I will say is that harvest is not always a bad thing under the right circumstances. And that 80 percent of Trinity never even gets fished, so the lake does have quite a source of replenishment.
Dewayne

Re: Coral 96

Post by Dewayne »

You are correct. I personally have no arguement with people keeping a few fish to eat. It is sad to see so many good fish, (bigger LM and SM) kept out of that lake when we have nearby lakes like Shasta and Oroville where there are overpopulation issues with spots. What I have seen while camping there was not a camp catching a limit for a day of eating fish. You had the same people day after day bringing in 20+# limits. Not sure what these guys were doing with the fish, but each day it was more than their camps could eat. Hell, I wanted to know how they were catching that big of limits so consistently. :) While it was sad, in those cases they were within their rights to keep 5 fish. In the case of this tournament it sounds like it was not permitted by DFG which may make it an illegal take.
Dewayne
CORAL 96

Re: Dewayne

Post by CORAL 96 »

Until the state decides to do one of two things:

1. Lower the limit of fish taken.

2. Put black bass on the "endangered species list".

there isn't much to keep someone from cleaning a limit of fish. I don't think for a minute that black bass of any variety are even the most popular fish to keep. That would probably go to Salmon, Tuna, or Trout within California. Out here in So. Nevada, it's Striper!! 8)
EGBASS

Post by EGBASS »

Dewayne wrote: You had the same people day after day bringing in 20+# limits. Not sure what these guys were doing with the fish, but each day it was more than their camps could eat. Hell, I wanted to know how they were catching that big of limits so consistently. :) While it was sad, in those cases they were within their rights to keep 5 fish.
I remember a story about someone who was busted for having too many crappie at Clear Lake. He had more than the posted limit as he had kept (on ice) full limits (or near full) for each day of fishing (he was on a multi day trip). What I got out of the story is limits are possesion limits and if you catch a limit one day and say don't eat all of them, you cant catch a limit the next day and posses two days worth of limits. The court backed up DFG and fined the individual heavily (they have a base fine then tack on a per fish charge for every fish over the limit, which added up to a lot since the crappie limit is high compared to say the bass limit). If that camp was catching more than they could eat and bringing in limits everyday they were likely in violation. Something we should all be aware of as we need to be willing to call Cal Tip to protect our valuable resources. Had I not come across this article, I for one would not have realized the "subtleties" of the limit rules.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Almost, but not complete. Usually you can have two limits in possesion, but you have to check the regulations regarding each lake/river you are fishing. i.e. Eagle lake has a 2 fish limit per day, but you can have 4 in possesion. So two days of fishing is legal, but nothing after that, if you keep those two day limits. Still, in this case, they could hold their tournament/fish out on Shasta (close to Trinity) and keep all those spots and fillet the hell out of them and it would be a good thing for the lake, but not at Trinity, legal or not.
I still feel F&G needs to check it out. My email is to F&G for their info. Bill K :(
rexford

Black Bass @ Trinity

Post by rexford »

I prolly won't make any friends with this statement but
as far as I care they can take all the black bass out
of Trinity they can carry. If you have ever fished Trinity
you might agree too.

Mike
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Coral,

I am not directing this response directly to you as I think your comment was tongue in cheek. But there is no chance of Largemouths ever going on the Endangered list "NO CHANCE" there are simple to many of them in to many places all across this country and a few dozen other countrys as well. The Largemouth is in no danger from extinction.

Also guys this catch and release program can be carried to extremes. I personally don't keep or eat Largemouths, but the fact that some folks do is a good thing. Without some form of control as to removing some Bass from the waters, if that is not done we are doing a huge dis-service to the fish itself. Some Largemouth "MUST" be harvested for us all to have a healthy fishery.

I don't know where the answer lays here. The folks like myself who only fish for Largemouths and fish Tournnys want the fish to be there in good numbers and in good size. For that to continue to happen somebody needs to be removing some number of these fish on a regular and controlled basis. The 5 fish limit set by the state seems to working pretty well as far as I know, but me experiance is limited and I do practice catch and release. But maybe that is not the best thing to do all of the time.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave,with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece. But to slide in broadside, throughly used up and worn out shouting "WOW" what a ride.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Gunny, You are right in that there has to be check and balance. But in this case, it appears many of those fish were large females, spawning or not spawned out yet. If they want fillets, then go for it, but with smaller fish and not the large one's still in the process of the spawn and full of eggs. I guess that is my take on the situation. Down the road it will come to a head, with good info and I, for one, want to see what the F&G has to say about the situation and the event by the SPI people. Bill K :)
aNNieNsaLTIE

Re: Definite follow up needs to happen here...

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

sTony,

my father and i really appreciate you going out of your way to notify dept. of fish and game. thank-you

saLTIE-
aNNieNsaLTIE

trinity lake.*NM*

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i will say this lake has quality and lots of it. there are people out there camping eating a few daily catch and that's fine some of us do, i do! think back when you were 5 or 6 and you caught your fist bass or tout. some one who you looked up to (dad) came by took it, cleaned it, seasoned it, and fried it....yuMMMmy!!!

.............BUT...................we all remember those good days we USE to have on the same lake we fish weekly. we remember when fishing the shorelines more rewarding. we remember those stories told of 40lb test and 50lb test being broken off fisihing for stripe bass under the south tower, or WHEN THE CORDELL BANKS WAS FISHABLE, do we remember? most of those days are gone.....i remeber pulling up to a spot in clear lake and getting a 36lb limit in one spot, then releasing it all after a few pics just so i could fishing the evening bite.....

............the point is let's cherish what we STILL have...

saLTIE-
Curadodude

A HOAX?

Post by Curadodude »

I am personal friends with a guy who works in the fab shop at the anderson spi. he read this forum and thought it seemed odd that spi would do this...called around to the guys that would have put this thing on at trinity and no one knew anything about it, and for that matter if it did happen it was deffinately not sponsored by spi.
www.stevescustomrods.net

www.mgmlures.net

www.savephace.com
Fish Chris

I'm sorry but.....

Post by Fish Chris »

can somebody please direct me to the original post that this big long thread was all about ?

Thank you,
Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
Bill kizer

Re: I'm sorry but.....

Post by Bill kizer »

Go to the fishing reports then click on Trinity Lake.
Just call me Tule bender
Fish Chris

Re: I'm sorry but.....

Post by Fish Chris »

Thank you Bill.

Geeez ! That's pretty hideous. Talk about putting bass anglers / tournaments in a very bad light !

Who are the main people in charge ? Not the organization.... the people ? Names ? Phone numbers ? I'd be glad to give them a call.

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

But?????????????????
On a side note when are you going to teach me how to catch fish on Clear Lake?
Just call me Tule bender
Gator

Post by Gator »

What about me Bones? I am still waiting on my guided trip on Clearlake!!

If all goes well I should be back by the end of June. I will not be making the Rally as I have to go on business travel for the last two weeks of July :-(
Scott V.

Post by Scott V. »

In the local Redding newspaper this Sunday in the Outdoors section:

http://www.redding.com/redd/od_columnis ... 56,00.html

Scott V.
jack morris

Post by jack morris »

OK, it seems that we are bashing people for catching and eating bass. While I may not agree with keeping that many fish ,it is their right to do so if they want to. Bashing them is (in my mind) is not called for . I have been called out in the past for keeping a gut hooked bass that was bleeding profusley and in my opinion was not going to live. These people called me every name in the book and one of them even told me he was going to kick my butt if I kept another bass. This happened at lake Amador. Is it our right to try to force everyone to do things our way? I think not. I hope that this type of tourny is not common , but I hope we understand and respect the rights of others even if we do not agree with what they are doing as long as they are not breaking the law. Jack ps if you want to reply via e-mail my address is jackbasssr@yahoo.com
sTony

Post by sTony »

The answer is simple to what you've asked Jack and you've elluded to what the primary problem is, breaking the law. If it was a tournament and monies were awarded then what happened at Trinity goes against the legal code of the State of California Department of Fish and Game. When running a cash tournament at any level the state requires that you do your utmost to release the vast majority if not all the fish alive if possible.

I received word from SPI that would seem to put out for debate just how many anglers were involved and the number of fish that were kept but on the surface of what was reported it was a gross misuse of our resources and if there was indeed money exchanging hands then there was a need to have it permitted by the state. I was assured by California State DFG authorities that the proper folks would be infomred and that folks would be looking into what transpired on Trinity Lake.

It also really doesn't make a difference whether or not we think the resource up there can handle what happened, I'm sure alot of lakes could. It's the question of legalities that irked so many.

I'd love to be able to clear my back yard by burning but to do so requires a permit and must be done within guidelines and season. Many would love to be able to hunt where ever they want and when ever they want and keep as many as they want but there are guidelines for all of that and when you ignore them you are in violation. It goes the same for those that feel that absolutely anything that bites a hook is theirs to keep but state code tells us otherwise.

If what was reported was indeed accurate then these individuals went beyond their right.

sTony