BassFan Reports Gerald Swindle DQ'd Day Two of Classic

DanO

Re: Cooch Hit the nail on the head

Post by DanO »

We all offend people from time to time, whether it is an infrigment of personal safety or just selfishness of actions. There is plenty of that right here on this forum everyday from so many of you that are saying BASS should run Swindle out of there. Yet, we sit here day after day seeing posts by so many on this board refusing to accept that somebody might have a different perspective and that the other perspective might be the right one, or at least valid.

At least Swindle had the professionalism to stand on stage in the face of what was obviously very public humiliation and embarrassment and weigh his fish despite the fact they wouldn't be counted.

His class showed that the guy respects his sport, the fans, his sponsors and BASS enough to still show up and do his job. Yes, he deserved to be DQ'd if Trip Weldon deemed his situation as unsafe boating, but he handled it in a professional, and repectable human manner

I still see people leave after day one of a tournament if they don't think they did very well around here, let alone all of the condemnation and fronting that goes on in this forum. Your choice, but Swindle handled it in a professional manner while allowing his feelings to be seen; I respect that.

DanO
Jerkbait0071

Re: BassFan Reports Gerald Swindle DQ'd Day Two of Classic

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

Ok here is my take on the situation. Gerald was being a total pour sport in this case and needs to be suspended from the upcoming events. This guy put a lot of people’s safety at risk, and that in my book is just not cool at all. When you’re operating a boat that moves at 65 MPH plus on the water with no brakes, you have to have a certain mind set that your passengers, and the other "fellow anglers" in that body of water's safety, are in your hands. I have a total new opinion about Swindle and I will keep that to myself. Apology or not, that was down right inconsiderate on his part.
Jrfish

Post by Jrfish »

MGJR- I agree. Just like with Ike at last years classic these DQ insidents get more press than all of the other awsome anglers that have worked hard to put it together. They deserve the air time to showcase their talents, honor their sponsor commitments and entertain all of us who love to learn and enjoy tournament angling. I think they should take a page from other sports like football when a crazy fan runs on the field and they don't show it to discourage others from doing the same thing that is a distraction to the event. ESPN ends up making fishing a bigger target to negative press. Two years in a row terrible desicions end up getting the most press during the most highly publicized events and make it worse on a sport that is trying so hard to grow in the eyes of the sports fans. Now, was he out of line? Yes, that was rediculous conduct and the DQ was in order, but it certainly does not need to take up 25minutes of a hour long program that is supposed to promote fishing. The industries double standards are funny though. Ike and Gerald are monsters for their dumb moves, but last year at Cooper both Van Damn and Alton Jones straight up cheated by breaking sight fishing rules, but it was hardly publicized. IMHO thier actions of rule breaking to gain an edge are very serious actions against the sport but in the end Van Damn is still everyones hero, if Ike did that he would front page news as an immoral guy that should be banned from tournament angling.
gabuelhaj

How is this any different than the CA Delta?

Post by gabuelhaj »

This happens all the time on the Delta. Heck, people here were talking about Sherman Island and this is an expected practice and to just get used to it when fishing there.

From what I saw, he signaled his intent and was waved to proceed. Looks like he didn't want to cut between the camera boat and the Purolator fisherman.

This is created to exagerate a story by the TV station, plain and simple. They need to focus on the hard work that is at play here, the angler's, not just someone motoring by a camera boat in a filled up channel.

I'm not buying it as this is an all too common occurrance from what I see on the water and it's accepted.

Just being objective....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
benthebassman15

Re: How is this any different than the CA Delta?

Post by benthebassman15 »

u kno whats funny about this whole thing to me is that swindle is on the motor guide commercial and theyre makin a big deal bout him the n he gets dqed i love swindle great fisherman but its still funny
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

I think the only reason he stood up on stage and did the interview was to save face with his sponsors if he had no sponsors it would of been F you B.A.S.S.. I don't know what it is about that guy but he sure comes off as selfish and greedy to me .
CV

Re: Swindle's DQ, is a perfect example!

Post by CV »

Ya know, I tend to keep to myself when its an opinion about another person but "G" is a huge puss! Can't stand him in anyway.

I've watched him over the last few years has proven he can't take a beating in the sport without chucking stones. He thinks he owns all the water he fishes and anyone fishing the same fish found them because he was there first, NOT!!!

He's seems like a little boy in his thinking. Passing a boat less than 10' away on full pad in the Bassmasters with cameras rolling :shock: ...that's not a laps in judgement, that's him in a nutshell.

Clausen kicked his *** in that Match Bass fishing show and he basically calls him a girl the whole time and doesn't congratulate him once. I'm sure Clausen was laughing his *** off at him inside. I sure was!

"G's" a fool and karma always catches up to you in the end.
You get what you deserve and this last stunt doesn't surprise me in the least.
GET THE NET!!!
Andy Giannini

The Irony...

Post by Andy Giannini »

Of it was the Motorguide ad featuring him and the slogan,

"Never stop..."

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
sTony

Post by sTony »

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't watch a second of this weekend's Classic coverage. I have looked at the video and from what I could tell he was certainly less then ten feet away from the camera boat. You could tell he signaled his intent but you can't see anyone giving him the 'all clear' to proceed through the way he did and it wouldn't have mattered had anyone done so. It was clearly way to close and the boat should have come off pad and proceeded through safely.

I had the opportunity to talk personally with Gerald a few years ago at the Angler Marine' Bass-a-thon. He came off as something very different then his on camera persona; warm, very friendly, eager to talk with people and relate to them. Because of that personal interaction I have always viewed Gerald differently then those that likely have never seen him up close and personal and not on something that was made for TV. I believe very much the same way about Iaconelli. I think some of these guys are completely different then their 'on air persona'.

That being said, and I haven't seen the weigh in footage, I believe what BASS did was completely justified and absolutely HAD to happen. The DQ was appropriate. However, anyone thinking the penalty should be harsher and extend into the current season is not taking rules into account and thinking like a tournament director. Gerald made an obvious error in judgment and was penalized for it. Case closed. Personally I don't think any the less of him; he made a mistake, was caught doing so on video not that I think that mattered all that much as their were several witnesses, and he got penalized. Apparently he apologized and said it would never happen again.

Why is it anyone would want a pound of flesh from the man after all is said and done.

sTony
Hitman

Re: Cooch Hit the nail on the head

Post by Hitman »

What's fun to watch is all the different opinions on the topic...like someone once said many o'times "opinions are like a$$holes - everyone has one and they all stink" except for mine 8)

It's good to live in a free country.

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Jim Conlow Sr.

Agreed Cooch. You and I as well as many others also know

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

We know that this is not the first time that some other major pro tournament players have come very close to having some major collisions on the water.
I hope that this has some sobering affects on those who have had the close calls and on those of us who know who they are.
There are some who would have liked to cover this all up. But the openess of the reporting and The DQ may hopefully save some lives
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
spanky99

Re: Agreed Cooch. You and I as well as many others also kno

Post by spanky99 »

I also agreed with the DQ, and when I saw the video I thought what an idiot! However, I then saw the interview with Howell. I ran this back a couple of times on my DVR to make sure I heard what I thought I heard...Howell said, "I saw him and waived him on through." This statement makes me believe this is a common occurrence among pro anglers...Not to mention the countless times this has occurred to me on the Delta. If the other angler wasn't offended then why should I be, Howell was the one fishing, not me...As for the spectators, the only thing I could think of was those downhill races where the spectators (also idiots) line up along the track and every once in a while one gets sideways and that is how we get those "and they walked away" or "amazing crashes" videos. I personally would have still come off plane.
Charles Kevin Elder

Post by Charles Kevin Elder »

CV wrote:Ya know, I tend to keep to myself when its an opinion about another person but "G" is a huge puss! Can't stand him in anyway.
I didn't see anything wrong with it he is a pro he drives boats all the time he knows what he is doing

I've watched him over the last few years has proven he can't take a beating in the sport without chucking stones. He thinks he owns all the water he fishes and anyone fishing the same fish found them because he was there first, NOT!!!

He's seems like a little boy in his thinking. Passing a boat less than 10' away on full pad in the Bassmasters with cameras rolling :shock: ...that's not a laps in judgement, that's him in a nutshell.

Clausen kicked his *** in that Match Bass fishing show and he basically calls him a girl the whole time and doesn't congratulate him once. I'm sure Clausen was laughing his *** off at him inside. I sure was!

"G's" a fool and karma always catches up to you in the end.

You get what you deserve and this last stunt doesn't surprise me in the least.
Doug Hodel wrote:Your welcome even though I'm not Jim. :)
Charles Kevin Elder

Re: Agreed Cooch. You and I as well as many others also kno

Post by Charles Kevin Elder »

spanky99 wrote:I also agreed with the DQ, and when I saw the video I thought what an idiot! However, I then saw the interview with Howell. I ran this back a couple of times on my DVR to make sure I heard what I thought I heard...Howell said, "I saw him and waived him on through." This statement makes me believe this is a common occurrence among pro anglers...Not to mention the countless times this has occurred to me on the Delta. If the other angler wasn't offended then why should I be, Howell was the one fishing, not me...As for the spectators, the only thing I could think of was those downhill races where the spectators (also idiots) line up along the track and every once in a while one gets sideways and that is how we get those "and they walked away" or "amazing crashes" videos. I personally would have still come off plane.
yall are crazy g man was doing what was best at that time
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

This is an old post that is 11 years old.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Whats the link to the video ? I tried the one above and its just the article.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

Mitch you can You Tube it, its a old topic, 2007 Bassmaster classic...Dont know why its reposted..
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

M Pollard wrote:Mitch you can You Tube it, its a old topic, 2007 Bassmaster classic...Dont know why its reposted..
Because some guy named 'Charles Kevin Elder', or claiming to be, joined yesterday, and four minutes later posted on this old thread, and then again three minutes later! Strange. :shock:

Looked it up again, found a video of the whole tourney, Swindle is at 7 minute mark of the one hour Classic video.
https://www.bassmaster.com/video/classic-xxxvii
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Charles

Post by Charles »

This is from 2007! Why is this coming up now?
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Somone had a comment on it, so the convo is back in action. Guess it's kind of like a throwback ... remember that time when.... #TBT