Bed fishing 101

stickbait

Bed fishing 101

Post by stickbait »

Well, folks here it is ... This is a 5 part video that buddy Mike and myself did at Camanche today.. Each one is short and each one gets better as you go!

While watching you have to remember, we had no clue what we were doing and this started after I caught a nice bed fish and when I boated it ,Mike says .. wow .. we should have watched that on my camera (Mike has a aqua veiw).... Light bulbs went off big time as I have my Canon camera and it takes video.

I asked Mike if he wanted to give it a try, with a HELL ya .. we are dragging out the underwater camera/monitor make by aqua veiw ... and started looking for a bed fish and in a short time I spot 2 on a bed .

I spin the boat around as Mike gets the aqua view ready, I ready the rod and bait and my camera settings then hand the camera to Mike.

Also this fish and his bed were in 12 ft of water ... thats prettty deep for a bed fish !

We had to work about 5 minutes getting the camera set just right as there were some rocks that were in the way of good viewing. Finally with the camera set in the bed, Mike gets my camera and starts looking into the monitor for the action..as I start working on pissing this fish off into biting.
You will hear some of the couching and excitement we go through doing this, so turn up the volume .. pop a soda and enjoy.

Hope you all enjoy this .. as we sure had fun making it

Note .... notice the water temp... 56 degrees as the camera has a temp gauge in it and it seemed very close when held at the surface .. which was 63... ... magic number 65 degrees???? wrong !!

seaya
mark

ps .. all copy right reserved .. without my permission is a no no !

#1 http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... V02910.flv

#2 http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... V02905.flv

#3 http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... V02907.flv

#4 http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... V02911.flv

#5 http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/ ... V02912.flv
Last edited by stickbait on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
g-man

Re: Bed fishing 101

Post by g-man »

Now thats cheating!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Man your slow :D ! That little bugger ate that a few times. I'm sure you already know that since you were there!
Very entertaining, thanks.
I had to come back...I know...
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Ver cool Mark. Hey guys, skip 1,2 & 3, go right ta 4! LOL
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

Really cool. It is really hard to keep boat and bait in position, Adding the camera is even tougher. I will have to try that with my camera
Troy Winger
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Stickbait & Mike,
That was very cool - great that you figured how to capture that between the aqua-view and your camera. nice!

Now, i'm not an expert bed fisherman by any means, but watching the video it seems to me that you were dancing that bait around way more than necessary. The fish was trying to eat it like a million times and you kept yanking it away :D . Try just leaving sit on the "hotspot" and jumping it just once in a while. Then watch the fish come over, turn its nose down on it, before it strikes and flare up and whack it. that's fun too!

Great Job!

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Ah it is great to see Mr. Seaters on here sharing again!!

For those of you who do not know Mark is one of the best sight fishing folks you will find!!! even if it is 8 foot long fish with long sharp teeth!! HAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Stickbait!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Ah it is great to see Mr. Seaters on here sharing again!!

For those of you who do not know Mark is one of the best sight fishing folks you will find!!! even if it is 8 foot long fish with long sharp teeth!! HAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Stickbait!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Thanks guys for sharing the video...great job.

Anyone care to film some Delta fish in the tules?
or at the release tube at Russos?
or some points at Berryessa? or Pedro?

the possibilities are endless.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

kopper_bass wrote:Stickbait & Mike,
That was very cool - great that you figured how to capture that between the aqua-view and your camera. nice!

Now, i'm not an expert bed fisherman by any means, but watching the video it seems to me that you were dancing that bait around way more than necessary. The fish was trying to eat it like a million times and you kept yanking it away :D . Try just leaving sit on the "hotspot" and jumping it just once in a while. Then watch the fish come over, turn its nose down on it, before it strikes and flare up and whack it. that's fun too!

Great Job!

Kopper_Bass
KB... your post brings up a whole nother topic.... about what it takes to catch a bed fish ... you think I am hopping to much or pulling it away .. na .. you had to be there .. it looks like that in the video..

But I will tell ya every fish has it's on mood or personality as a "bass fishermen" it is your job to figure that out how to trigger the bite. I was doing what was making the fish respond ..

If you noticed my panties where pulled down (worm slid down the shank of the hook) this is because the fish was hot .. or responding to me pissing him off and I was not going to stop to fix my stuff and let the fish cool off .

Let it lay in the bed .. and I will see you there on the same bed at the end of the day !

I could talk about bed fishing for day ... God I love this stuff !

seaya
mark
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Hipster wrote:Ah it is great to see Mr. Seaters on here sharing again!!

Thanks Stickbait!!
Thanks Hipster .. Man dude, if i could find a 8 fter with teeth on a bed ..I think I would get..... Wood! Want to lip em for me ?? :D
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Cooch wrote:Ver cool Mark. Hey guys, skip 1,2 & 3, go right ta 4! LOL
Andy you would miss the honkers in the back ground if you did that...

Camanche is as great as it has always been .. we should get together up there .. !! Seems I still have this cert. for some kind of trip ... har har ... I think it is colleting interest.. by now it is worth 3 trips !!! :lol:

seaya bro
mark
Ryan L

Post by Ryan L »

cool videos guys
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

That was cool! Pretty tough to get the fish on camera with the bait and all.

I had a chance to try bed fishing over there two weeks ago and learned something.

I stink at it!

HAR! A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Really fun to watch. Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Sean Graf

Post by Sean Graf »

Let's see you do that out in the bay!

That was cool!

Sean
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Where was the female? Maybe there were no eggs on that bed yet?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Jim Conlow Sr.

No------ watch the whole thing

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

the suspense is wonderful. I found myself involved in all kinds of body english trying to get the bait where the fish wasI think if the camera were mounted on a pole then you could rotate it to stay focused on the bait or on the fish.

Great show Mark. I did not know that you are now Stickbait. Glad to know who you are

Jim
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Rob T

Question for tourney bed fishing??

Post by Rob T »

Cool stuff! But it makes me wonder: Would it be fair if a team in a tournament used a camera to find deep bed fish and/or bed fish in suboptimal conditions and used the camera to find and monitor the critters for when to set the hook?

Just wondering if I need to buy one of these gadgets!
Jim Conlow Sr.

Re: Question for tourney bed fishing??

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Some tournament Orgs ban the use of a camera during the tournament and some ban it even for practice
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
stickbait

Re: Question for tourney bed fishing??

Post by stickbait »

Rob T wrote:Cool stuff! But it makes me wonder: Would it be fair if a team in a tournament used a camera to find deep bed fish and/or bed fish in suboptimal conditions and used the camera to find and monitor the critters for when to set the hook?

Just wondering if I need to buy one of these gadgets!
I really don't think this would work in a tourney while bed fishing .. couple reason .. #1 .. you have to cover alot of water with the hopes in finding one on a bed .. #2... I don't think you could run the t/motor with the camera hanging in say 15 ft of water as it would be draging behind the boat..
The cameras don't have that much field of view, were you can scan the bottom for several 100 ft or so looking for fish.

If ya got some deep bed fish .. ya got to fish em blind with the FEEL Sysyem!!

They will work good to locate fish deep on point or breaks and things like that.. or structure stuff !

I would love to drop one in the ocean.. can you say lingcod !!!