Not accusing anyone, really...

GKramer

Not accusing anyone, really...

Post by GKramer »

...but sometimes those of us who fish for the green fish are not quite as careful as we could be with the striped fish we hook.

Those non-reproducing hybrids stocked in Elsinore are there to help things out by curbing juvenile carp and keeping the shad population in check. The latter species tend to stir up bottom sediment (phosphates) that triggered the old algae blooms, which led to oxygen depletion and finally massive fish die-offs everyone remembers.

The hybrids here are one part of the program that includes turbine "stirring" of the water, and aeration by way of compressed air through miles of tubes.

In other words, the "stripers" here are our friends--even if they rip the tail hook off your Lucky Craft. The limit is 2 fish/18 inch minimum with the idea they won't all get caught out.

A look at the water clarity and something must be working....
Ray L.

Re: Not accusing anyone, really...

Post by Ray L. »

Got a question for you ....
Is the city planning on stocking the Hybrids again in the near future?
If not is it cost basis or no funds for doing this again?
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

George,
Would stocking those hybrids in lakes that are now infested with breeding stripers slow down their reproduction rates?
That would sure help at Castaic, for sure.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

To answer that is out of my league. They have a closed environment and controlled number (roughly) here. At Castaic with new water and new eggs, larvae or fish coming in all the time, I'm not sure it would help.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Drat! Just as I feared, the evil empire will prevail! :lol:
Don't get me wrong, stripers are fun to catch, it's just that they are so voracious I'm sure they keep the size of the bass at Castaic down by out competing with them, and eating fry when they can.
Maybe we could let the unemployed salt water purse seine fishermen fish for stripers at Castaic. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Of course, they'd all have to buy new clean boats from Anglers, but I'm sure Rick would take good care of them.
What a boon to the local economy, and that would mean giving jobs to those idled by the marine closures and net restrictions on the salt.
Man, it must be hot. I'm hallucinating. And I haven't even had a beer. Yet.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

And just think when they knock down the population and sock it to em at Castaic they then could run up to Pyramid and sock it to those stripers too. Wow now we are talkin, Start heating up the oil and I'll
bring my filet knife.